Poor Goldfish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Falconwithaboxon

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
This is my girlfriend's parent's tank. They have 4 comet goldfish in a 5 gallon. The tank has no lights. It has a filter and a bubbler. They keep it clean. They put a lot of work into the tank but I can't help but feel bad for them. They said I can take the fish but I don't have a big enough tank yet. I'm hoping they're still alive when I get a new tank but that won't be until fall at least.

Attachments

• PXL_20210316_212612391.jpg
    PXL_20210316_212612391.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 85
This is my girlfriend's parent's tank. They have 4 comet goldfish in a 5 gallon. The tank has no lights. It has a filter and a bubbler. They keep it clean. They put a lot of work into the tank but I can't help but feel bad for them. They said I can take the fish but I don't have a big enough tank yet. I'm hoping they're still alive when I get a new tank but that won't be until fall at least.
Are they putting a lot of work into keeping it clean? Because that waterline suggests otherwise...

As awful as it is to keep large, messy fish in such a small tank, it boggles my mind and makes it even worse when those small tanks are ALWAYS only 3/4s full. At the very least, with such a small water volume, fill it to the top!

It also usually means that water changes aren't happening, and the water is being left to evaporate to that level.

Its always tough to see but just bear in mind taking on 4 comet goldfish is still a big commitment. They are likely to get 8-12 inches and very active. For the long bodied goldies you are looking at 20g for the first and 15g for each fish after that so your in 65 gallons for these 4 which would be a good sized 4 foot tank but realistically these guys will do best in some kind of small pond? Would that be a viable option?

Wills

Are they putting a lot of work into keeping it clean? Because that waterline suggests otherwise...

As awful as it is to keep large, messy fish in such a small tank, it boggles my mind and makes it even worse when those small tanks are ALWAYS only 3/4s full. At the very least, with such a small water volume, fill it to the top!

It also usually means that water changes aren't happening, and the water is being left to evaporate to that level.
I honestly don't know if they know they have to change the water. But the glass and everything else is very clean. The fish last years, one made it 15 years in that tank. But I'm still worried none the less. I hope they're still around when I get to that bigger tank setup.

Its always tough to see but just bear in mind taking on 4 comet goldfish is still a big commitment. They are likely to get 8-12 inches and very active. For the long bodied goldies you are looking at 20g for the first and 15g for each fish after that so your in 65 gallons for these 4 which would be a good sized 4 foot tank but realistically these guys will do best in some kind of small pond? Would that be a viable option?

Wills
Me and my girlfriend are getting an apartment with an extra bedroom. I was thinking about getting a 75 or 90 gallon tank for goldfish.

I honestly don't know if they know they have to change the water. But the glass and everything else is very clean. The fish last years, one made it 15 years in that tank. But I'm still worried none the less. I hope they're still around when I get to that bigger tank setup.
They're lucky if they haven't burned the motor out on the filter by letting the waterline get so low.

Perhaps talk to them about water changes, and keeping the tank filled right to the top. Would at least give the fish a better chance of making it to autumn. Or see whether they'd be willing to rehome the goldfish to someone else, and you can choose or rescue some other fish once you have your own tank. There will never be a shortage of goldfish in need of rescue and a properly sized tank, that's for sure.

Poor babies. That water line is concerning. I do hope they are still alive when you can take them. :(

They're lucky if they haven't burned the motor out on the filter by letting the waterline get so low.

Perhaps talk to them about water changes, and keeping the tank filled right to the top. Would at least give the fish a better chance of making it to autumn. Or see whether they'd be willing to rehome the goldfish to someone else, and you can choose or rescue some other fish once you have your own tank. There will never be a shortage of goldfish in need of rescue and a properly sized tank, that's for sure.
I have. They said the fish have always been good like that so it's not a issue. I'm just going to have to hope they make it to fall.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back