Poor coloration in zebra cichlids

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Garrett

Reaction score
I have had 6 adult convict cichlids in my tank for about 3 months now. They came to me from a pretty overstocked and generally neglected tank and they looked almost white in color. The color came back fairly quickly within the first month or so but has not improved since. I feed them on a regular basis 2x daily and do about a 50% water change once a week. The small female has brilliant colors compared to the males and I'm not sure why. How do I spark their inner rainbow and make them colorful little zebras? They seem to be healthy because a batch of about 10 or so fry have grown to almost ½ to ¾ of an inch long, their coloration seems ok but still not the best (picture in attachments)

Water parameters

PH: 6.8

Ammonia: .5 ppm

Nitrite: 0 ppm

Nitrate: 160 ppm

All these measurements were taken 1 day before the weekly water change and to the exact specifications of the testing kit (below)

BUMvnb6xyKEAZEqP45GCnXAtbihjz28hEC4eISohmiL0fLDV-k_W97v78M7qKVtpX4qOprVKZg3onJOC2ycX_SBDnFkun4gW5l30dYaH9KktE0E4iRnqMFEYnDJS3fzGwUXb47fH

Food

I use two different pellets, one sinker, one floater. Recently just added in the cichlid gold to the mix. I throw in a little bit of the mix and let them pick what they want.
19XBdSgEcOZCNIu-9N0sIICVm4mnScJjHEJIGS0SDWqmOK7NZPNeSm7lyfHObe0h8NBeURXO7wSUjUDZYFvQAT4yIFT6A9p4_7CiNaXJDfq1Jpu4rkvUOfDU19Crevv-_15b5Kic
Uz-wSIjd3uCfGmE5Ir94reeuM5ZJuS7TOb2ELFAMOlQeaoW-fxMbHVgvaNE9Eb5ZZsU6iU7ydlemF7QtB4J8X5Q7mUYxy3PERKHi8qTdnw15ssDJdRdapmV0WpyyqYl_SMdnCIRe
KosMSMvZjlBqWTAqXTON95F-bIKN0zvIxlEa3ulGIQURboJlHvlKmOR-RKz1502wjVE4ND4NPvwmq_L4zKfGNsWTw0UJCTvinMAKys0nDHDeQn_6GfjdyXPWMai_UC8NMeDC3jT-

The mix.

Kp-5XVehSO3vGlDPvLQK6uIdQEADseruGr8UF9VI42e35qzfT7qmzIjjdkOUnB_Vca6cCwJwAbq38L7-wpvb1ic09XdgHDZKvQDILYnknBA7yWu2hIc1ybvnC7XSXP0yW-GzamvU

Fish coloration

M_kTUR-5L2ddfIy8bPEKv5IHXxS2ucbTwNxZ1PwcLmg1OLxv57i1ZrwdLNQ8qZU_UijTnRMd-04lahCNvQFgfTqcRNck32FDSbczStTvIG28SNt-X1C1zE5bonv2P7igq25JLezH
BptU1I7eXs8DqHTDyVf1rTlg7pr8611Df513gX5XmnQqigaEGlcvu0S3WY1EO99SVVD0teP4JLTIS77CHLTVIKaYMrcRIBT7hdo_Lfb98VuPiFc-vl5mB4-rABW8es9Pt8JAYg5W

Most colorful male The colorful female

JAZ7VbFZAM9hshN4AGhVc16eR9X1XRdTafSsgcxvfu3sstCZ7WiYavAsWY7rbgpN8oc4JeSYM6LzJ7akC4B5HG9Ob29Xi9kT4qYat-nOLmKJ2dNJmGiWLpBUN7JtEoSamMQAAnXQ

The ugly looking male (two of them look like this)

One of the other males looks like the first but with less colorful stripes

The second female looks like this male too, not too colorful on the stripes but at least has a grey body color.

The two males that look like ghosts I know to be bullied by the big colorful male and they are very skittish, opposite of the other fish in the tank who seem very friendly.

the overall color on all the fish is sub-par from what I've seen on the internet, are my fish a less colorful breed in general? are they overstocked? am I feeding them right?

Female convict cichlids (Cichlasoma nigrofasciatum) have more colour than males who have black, white, grey and that's it. There is also the possibility the fish are hybrids between convicts and C. spilurum or C. sajica.

You can use a colour enhancing food or offer foods that are orange and purple (carrots & blueberries). Prawn/ shrimp is also good for improving colour.

Ammonia: .5 ppm

Nitrite: 0 ppm

Nitrate: 160 ppm

Ammonia should be 0 and I would advise that the nitrates don't go above 40 ( I tend to keep mine around 10ppm).
I would suggest doing a big water change 75% or more every other day until your levels become more stable.

the convicts might be stressed by something, what color is the tank decor and the substrate. the light the tank decor and substrate is, the lighter the coloration of the fish will be.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back