Pond Build For A Snakehead

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

yeah lol. i had fed it too him about half hour b4 but he clearly didnt want it.. its now feeding on some fish. about 3 inch.. not sure what they are but my turtle eats them so they must be tasty!!

Garage is the best Idea. I have converted mine into a fish house.

On the diet front I would say mice are a no no. Lots of fish in fact most of them are not properly equipt to digest red meats the fats aren't very good for them. Your best bet is to go down to Morrison (I say Morrisons as I find there stock and prices to be better than the others) Get yourself some Trout or Salmon fillet, cut it up into strips and put it in the freezer. Also grab a pack of raw king prawns. Then add to that any worms etc you come across in your garden. Variety is everything. I also add dried food into the fish meat to add some extra nutrition.

Your best bet for a snakehead is to get rid of it. These fish like to travel on land at will and will definitely not allow itself to be trapped in a pond. This is also a fish that likes to escape its enclosures. Its just a matter of time before it learns how and gets into a local water source. Snakeheads are a huge problem in the US as an invasive species and it is illegal in most cases for pet stores to sell them here for good reasons.

Your best bet for a snakehead is to get rid of it. These fish like to travel on land at will and will definitely not allow itself to be trapped in a pond. This is also a fish that likes to escape its enclosures. Its just a matter of time before it learns how and gets into a local water source. Snakeheads are a huge problem in the US as an invasive species and it is illegal in most cases for pet stores to sell them here for good reasons.

PARANOIA MUCH!

If his fish did escape, it would not "get into a local water source".
The reason Snakeheads have invaded waterways in US is down to them being introduced by humans.

These guys can live out of water, but not for very long. They also move very very slowly and get tired in very short distances. (like a couple of metres)

Don't believe all the media BS that go with Snakeheads.

To the OP, your pond will need a cover. I am in the middle of building a pond for my Marulius and have found some nice super clear acrylic grates with big viewing panels.

The reality is actually much worse. They are everywhere in Florida. People kept them as pets and didn't want them when they outgrew their tanks, or they escaped. I see them travel at night on the banks of isolated lakes. Most of their traveling is done through storm drains in just inches of water. They are also quick learners. One stupid snakehead is not a problem. Ten snakeheads with one smart snakehead in the bunch is a problem. They tend to copy behavior. If one snakehead figures out how to get escape, the rest will follow it. They can simply push the lid right off an enclosure to escape.They eat everything and the problem is their survivability. It will ALWAYS be the last fish standing in a small eco catastrophe due to their ability to breath air for one to two days. They are illegal here for a reason. They destroy the ecosystem.

The reality is actually much worse. They are everywhere in Florida. People kept them as pets and didn't want them when they outgrew their tanks, or they escaped. I see them travel at night on the banks of isolated lakes. Most of their traveling is done through storm drains in just inches of water. They are also quick learners. One stupid snakehead is not a problem. Ten snakeheads with one smart snakehead in the bunch is a problem. They tend to copy behavior. If one snakehead figures out how to get escape, the rest will follow it. They can simply push the lid right off an enclosure to escape.They eat everything and the problem is their survivability. It will ALWAYS be the last fish standing in a small eco catastrophe due to their ability to breath air for one to two days. They are illegal here for a reason. They destroy the ecosystem.
The idiot person who realsed them destroyed the eco system. It's not the fish's fault. I have some in one of my tanks and they're lovely fish , good jumpers but anyone with half a brain cell keeps them well covered up. Pretty friendly fish too, alot of the differernt species can be kept with other fish to big to be eaten, there are exceptions but you get that with every species of fish. They will stay in enclosed spaces if made to. I'm sure your normal fish doesnt like enclosed spaces but it's in one.
They cannot push the lid of a well setup tank, people who get them should read up and get a nice heavy lid on. They eat everything that will fit in it's mouth , again just like many fish.
They can stay on land but not for long as they dry up, once they dry they die.
They're Illegal there for one reason,,, the idiots who couldn't keep them correctly.

To say get rid of it is pathetic.

Its just a matter of time before it learns how and gets into a local water source. Snakeheads are a huge problem in the US as an invasive species and it is illegal in most cases for pet stores to sell them here for good reasons.

( heated becuase im in the uk).

Better watch out, it might learn how to get into the kitchen and come after you with a meat cleaver...

the reason there banned in usa is not because they crawled out of a tank

(i read up and watched documentaries on it)

they were first introduced when a Chinese man bought 2 to make a soup for his sick daughter but when he got home she was feeling better so he then proceeded to release them into a lake they then poisoned that lake but they had already crossed a small amount of wet bog land to get to a local river so there for unstoppable and any way they'd probably die in uk winter temps

:good: :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back