Poll: Sand Or Gravel

Which do you prefer and why?

  • Sand

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gravel

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mixture

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0
I think sand just looks so much better than gravel. Its extra work to keep clean but for how much better it looks its completely worth it.
 
Its extra work to keep clean

I wouldn't even say that. All the waste products tend to sit on top of sand rather than going down into it like gravel, reducing the need to dig around when vacuuming. The whole process is easier than gravel, IMHO.

Definately agree that it looks better though - and most bottom dwellers would thank you for it, too! My cories in particular love it.
 
I agree with the above - I think sand looks alot better, in my opinion it looks more natural and is brighter.

I also find it ok to clean (it took practice not to suck up too much sand!) however debris doesnt get caught between the pebbles :)
 
I prefer smooth, fine pea gravel. The gravel that I have have various brown and neutral colors which I think looks amazing.
 
yeah it's pretty easy change to sand, I did it about a month ago. You do have to take your fish out, but just put them in a bucket, take the decor and about 2/3 of the water out, then using your net or something scoop the gravel out. You can now clean your tank if you want, but then add the sand then the water and the decor again, be sure to pour the water onto a plate or something as to not move too much sand around. Note you should have your filter off for all of this and until the sand completely settles because it can damage a filter very easily.
 
if i had to pick which i like by appearance id choose sand but sand is harder to clean and different filters is needed..or so i hear lol. i like when tanks have 2 or more kinds of bottom. my tank has large lake rocks that cuts off to a few neat gravel channels...1 dark area and 1 light area. i paved them out so theyre like little underwater roadways, and the fish use them!
 
my tank has large lake rocks that cuts off to a few neat gravel channels...1 dark area and 1 light area. i paved them out so theyre like little underwater roadways, and the fish use them!

That sounds fantastic. :good: I have a few rocks in the bottom of my tank, jutting out of the sand, it certainly helps to break the area up, but yours sounds much better.

Any chance of some pics?

No need for different filters BTW, as long as you're careful not to kick up too much sand while your filter's running. The only exception to that would be an undergravel filter, which obviously wouldn't work with sand!

And as I mentioned above, sand shouldn't be any harder to clean than gravel.
 
*is also a sand lover*

i love watching the fish dig about in it. its so funny!

never had gravel so wouldnt know what its like, i do however have a corner full of small stones (for fry to hide in) and find it seems to trap more dirt than the whole of the sand area!
 
I like the looks of sand but have regretted it. My Pleco poops so much and the sand is white. It looks dirty again the day after I clean it :(
 
I like the looks of sand but have regretted it. My Pleco poops so much and the sand is white. It looks dirty again the day after I clean it :(

That is my problem too. I need sand as I have spiny eels but my pleco is a poo machine.

I think I prefer the look of sand and it is easier to clean imo. I don't use it in my planted tanks though as most species can't grow as well in sand.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top