Please Id :d

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

vanny

Reaction score
I just saw this slug like snail with no shell in my aquarium today.
no sure what it is, its not afraid of the hermits and was sucking on the rock when I saw it today.
I am pretty sure I did not add it to my tank which has been up for 5 months now (and the only snail I have is a nassarius snail which sometimes comes out) and the some hermits (had 20 got 10 got killed by diamond goby)
is this good or bad I'm worried about my coral.

here are some pictures sorry about quality

DSC02923.jpg

DSC02919.jpg

DSC02917.jpg

DSC02916.jpg

DSC02915.jpg

also what is the white sponge like stuff under the rock in the 3rd image (is it good or bad) they have been there for a while now.

Cheers
smile.png

It's tough to tell from the angle. My first thought is a stomatella. If it has an elongated shell (I know it looks shell-less but it really isn't). My other thought is a small cowrie of some kind though they usually have a more rounded shell top. If you touch it the mantel will retract away from the shell revealing it. A photo from a more top angle would help me to ID it 100%. Either one of those would be beneficial to have in your tank though and nothing to worry about. Pretty sure stomatella...pretty sure. ;)

ya I think it looks like stomatella like you mentioned, I looked up on Google and the pictures look similar to what I got.
They like to eat algae
good.gif

-Thanks

Yes, it is a Stomatella.

They do actually have shells, but they are small and sometimes partially covered by soft tissue.

They will also breed in your tank and can be quite helpful. Because their shells are so flat they are able to fit into small areas of the tank and get to algae that other snails cannot. I am actually a huge fan of stomatella and if I don't get some as a hitchhiker I will find them from a friend for my tank.

Most reactions

trending

Back