• Yes / no

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Male / female

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tanya farrell

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hello could someone tell me if my mollie is female or male , the lady I got it off said it was felmale and was prego but nothing's happened , she has been swimming around really fast today don't know why ? , thank you , sorry about the bad pic , I have been trying to get a good pic for a while

Attachments

• IMG_0353.PNG
    IMG_0353.PNG
    340.3 KB · Views: 253
Yes it's a female, you can tell because the anal fin is fan shaped while a males will be more pointed. She is probably pregnant as well but you can tell when they are close to giving birth because the belly will fill in larger and get more flat box shaped at the bottom of the belly

Prefect thank you just wanted to double check , do you know how long it would be tell I know as I would like to save the egg as I don't want them to die , or do you know a good site I can read about there breeding as people say different thins and don't know how to trust

Mollies are live bearers so the fry will come out free swimming. Mollies gestation cycle is around 1 month but almost all fish will prey on their fry so you want to make sure you have dense vegetation or some sort of cover for them to grow out in. For mollies you can feed fry plain old crushed flakes but like any fish, variety and natural food sources are best

Ok do I leave the fish with her fry ?
How many do they have ?
What size tank should I put her in ?
Thank you for your help

My general rule for mollies is that they should have 30 gallons not only for water volume but also for swimming space and then an additional 10 gallons for every individual fish after 3. So 1-3 mollies would be alright in a 30 gallon but 4 mollies would do better in a 40 gallon, 5 in 50 etc. it's a rough guideline and other people's opinions vary but it works for me.
For the fry. My style of breeding is philosophized as "natural is better" so I like to move fish around as least as possible, this is my belief for the sake of both the mother and the fry. Some people like to move the mother into a grow out tank until she births, and them move her back after she finishes so that the fry have their own tank to grow safely away from larger fish. I like to keep the fry with the mother as this way nobody is being moved around and stressed out and if I lose a few fry then I just figure it's natural collateral (ironic because there in glass boxes, but still...)
I believe this strategy works well with species tanks but not so much in community tanks, I also am a big believer in heavily planted tanks so my fry naturally have densely planted areas to hide in and don't need breeder boxes, etc.

Some things to note if you are going with the separate breeding tank is that you want a filter that isn't going to suck the fry up into it. Also, sometimes moving pregnant fish around can become so stressful that the mother will abort or even reabsorb the fry, not giving birth at all, and even death of the mother is not unheard of, rare, but not unheard of. In general, however, live bearers are some of the easiest and most unforgiving beginner breeding fish to go with so whatever you decide to do, you will eventually get fry, and most likely you will eventually have so many that you get sick of them.

Good luck

Also I have noticed she has white spots but I can't work out if it's a disease or not how can I be sure it might even be the colour of her ?

I can't tell based on your pic above, a better pic would be important before diagnosing but if the spots look more like little cysts attached to the body and if they seem to fall off periodically and more develop then it might be ich. If it's more of a fuzzy growth externally it's probably a fungus and if it looks like abrasion or internal growth it might be bacterial. These are all crude symptom/disease matches but help establish a base line for determining if it's an illness, what kind of illness it is, or if it's just pigmentation, etc

Her is a pic of her , I can't seem to work it out , but nothing is felling off her , she's not rubbing on anything , and she's not sitting in a corner

Attachments

• IMG_0365.JPG
    IMG_0365.JPG
    775.4 KB · Views: 237

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back