Please Help! Sick Cory, Skin Peeling Off!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Andibee132

Reaction score
Request Help

Tank size: 25ltr
pH: 7.5
ammonia:0
nitrite:0
nitrate:20ppm
kH:?
gH:?
tank temp: 26C (Im from Uk, this is celsius)

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):

The cory looks as tho her skin is peeling from her body, she just lies on the floor of the tank breathing sometimes very rapidly and other times slowly. She isn't eating and shys away most of the time. I have grown very attached to this Cory as she prodcues quite alot of batches of eggs every 5-6 weeks. This has came on so suddenly. I have moved her and the other 2 corys into a hospital tank and added some anti fungal medication. I will provide some pictures below, please help me identify this as i really dont want to lose her. I have had her 5 months now. The Golden barbs i have, i have recently noticed them chasing her and nipping at the sores on her body, they likewise chase the other 2 corys aswell, this is odd because all the fish have lived in harmoney for 5 months now with no is

Volume and Frequency of water changes: 50% once Per week

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank:

Tank inhabitants: 4 neons,  2 Balloon Mollies, 2 Otto's, 2 golden Barbs

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): None

Exposure to chemicals: Not that i am aware

Digital photo (include if possible):

Here is the picture.  More pictures available on request. Thank you all for replies in advance.

http://i42.tinypic.com/t0ss4l.jpg

Firstly, separating the fish form the others is a good idea so you can treat it and stop it getting nipped by the barbs.

Part of the problem I think is that your tank is too small for the fish you have and you don't have the right numbers of fish. Virtually all your fish prefer to be in shoals of a minimum of 5-6 fish so they are likely to all be a bit unhappy which opens them up to infection and disease. Not sure 100% about golden barbs but a lot of other barbs are known for being nippers so should be kept in larger groups to stop them bothering other fish.

It seems to me that you should think about either getting a larger tank or returning your fish to where you got them from and getting something better suited to a smaller tank. E.g. a Betta on it's own or a shoal of smaller fish that doesn't get very big, celestial pearl danios are not too bad.

Or you could look here http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/418749-nano-fish/ (Thanks Ninj for reminding me of the link :) )

It looks like a bacterial/fungal infection. Make sure your treatment tank doesn't have any carbon in the filter or it will render your anti-fungal medication useless.

Sorry, but your tank is AWFULLY small for the mollies and cories and I've no idea how you've gotten away with having barbs in there beside them all for so long. You've got a tank slightly bigger than what might be considered a nano-tank and just isn't suitable for anything other than shrimp or tiny fish. In my opinion, this might just be the start of your problems.

Thanks for the responces, and yes you are all correct that my tank is too small.

The problem was that I originally had two tanks, which these fish divided between them and the other tank cracked during the early hours (still dont know how) around 4 weeks ago, so in a mad rush i had to resuce the fish and basiclly had to throw them all into the 25ltr tank, where they have stayed for the past 4/5 weeks.

On a brighter note I have recently purchased a 70ltr tank and i am in the process of Aquascaping it at the moment :). I'm still very concerend for my corys, i have anti fungal treatment in the hospital tank at the moment so fingers crossed that it works.

Andibee132 said:
Thanks for the responces, and yes you are all correct that my tank is too small.

The problem was that I originally had two tanks, which these fish divided between them and the other tank cracked during the early hours (still dont know how) around 4 weeks ago, so in a mad rush i had to resuce the fish and basiclly had to throw them all into the 25ltr tank, where they have stayed for the past 4/5 weeks.

On a brighter note I have recently purchased a 70ltr tank and i am in the process of Aquascaping it at the moment
smile.png
. I'm still very concerend for my corys, i have anti fungal treatment in the hospital tank at the moment so fingers crossed that it works.

We'll let you off then since it was an emergency situation! 
smile.png

You could also try some sort of immune system boosting treatment, maybe a fish vitamin additive. Perhaps once she starts eating again you could increase the amount of protein you feed - definitely high quality food should be given.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back