Please Help - Not Sure What To Do?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AmyStardust

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

So I made a post yesterday becuase I suspected one of my male guppie's had fin rot.

Over night he'd gone from having a tiny hole in his tail to have a complete tear in the morning! :(

He also looked a little bloated.

So I went out last night and bought a breeding net to seclude him from the others, some fin rot treatment (Interpet) and some peas to feed them.

I did 2 water changes yesterday and added the meds - only I'm not sure what to do next?? :unsure:

Ammonia - 0.25
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 10

Do I do a water change today?? If I do won't that dilute the meds I've added?? Should I add more?

The sick little guy is getting more and more bloated - what do I do?? :-(

What med to you use? Have you tried some cooked shelled peas, crushed up into little pieces (by finger) to try and ease the bloating?

Is he in the main tank or hosp tank? Size of tank, other inhabitants?

With ammonia at 0.25, I would do a 50% water change, then re-dose with meds (half dose as you have removed half the water).

I know you shouldnt really do water changes when medicating a tank, but the ammonia is doing more harm than the meds are doing good at this point.

How is the fish pooing? Is he swimming normally? Any signs of illness in the other fish?

It's a 5 gallon tank with 5 young male guppies!

I used Interpet Anti Fungus & Fin Rot med!

The others seem fine - pretty lively - one is a little more bloated than usual but I'm not overly concerned as yet!

I fed them all crushed (shelled) peas last night - since then the little sick guy has become more bloated!

He's in a breeding net, because I didn't want the others to pick on him as he's weakened - but I don't have a second tank to put him in unfortunately...

He's not very lively - having a little swim around occasionally, but most staying in one spot - but not resting on the bottom of the net!

I *thought* I saw white pooh coming from him earlier - I know that's not good... :(

So a water change is definitly the way to go??

I would say yes, to get that ammonia down.

Are you sure its finrot and not nipping from the other guppies? Stringly white poo is a sign of an internal bacteria infection and you will need a different med for that, interpet do an internal bacteria medication, however, Im not sure you can use them together. You would need to check the instructions for info on that.

If it is an internal infection (and it sounds like it is) then you will need to run some carbon in the filter to remove the fin rot med before dosing with the bacterial med.

I would say that I'm 90% sure it's not the other fish causing it - his tail has worsened since he's been seperated and I haven't ever seen them bullying him...?

What should I do if he continues to bloat??

Doing water change now!

Stop feeding him, maybe he just needs time to pass whats already in his stomache, wait for a definitive reply from Wilder or someone else with more med knowledge than me, but I think you need bacterial meds (does the finrot treat internal bacteria, read the label), there maybe some you can use together, but Im unsure, sorry I cant be more helful on that one.

Just done a 1/3 water change - didn't want to do more than that as his net is secured at the top of the tank and I didn't want to interfere with him too much! ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back