Please Help - Not Sure What To Do?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AmyStardust

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I had a thread earlier about my pair of male Platy's - one is constantly bullying the other... :(

Anyway, I've been watching them all afternoon and the one that is being picked on is not looking good - he looks like he's missing some scales near his tail and is being attacked virtually every 2 or 3 minutes!

I called the Pet Shop where I got them from and they have advised returning the bully, if not both of them! :-(

What do I do?? They were my son's birthday present only 2 weeks ago...

What will they do with them when I return them? I can't bare them thought of them putting them down - especially the poor little guy who's permenantly being tormented!

But if I keep the injured Platy will he live anyway?? :sad:

Anyway - I'm not sure what to do, and I'm not sure what to replace them with either??

It's a 5 Gallon tank with 4 ghost shrimp - and replacement suggestions?? :unsure:

Any advice would be appreciated!! ;)

Hi.

Ok so this can happen while a 'pecking order' is being sorted out between new or newish fish.

If you have an injured fish then it will probably need something like Melafix added which is quite expensive. If you LFS is willing to take it or both back then I am sure it will not 'put them down'.

My advice (for what it's worth) would be to take the injured one back and replace it with another of the same (your son would never know :hey: ) plus a few more mixed coloured Platy. (males only unless you want tons of fry which will get eaten)

By having several Platy a bully would not pick on the same one and once he had established himself as 'The Daddy' then it will settle down.
Platy are a good fish to start with as there are so many colours but they will breed if you mix sexes and female will almost certainly be pregnant when bought.

Hope my ramblings help some ;)

Hi.

Ok so this can happen while a 'pecking order' is being sorted out between new or newish fish.

If you have an injured fish then it will probably need something like Melafix added which is quite expensive. If you LFS is willing to take it or both back then I am sure it will not 'put them down'.

My advice (for what it's worth) would be to take the injured one back and replace it with another of the same (your son would never know :hey: ) plus a few more mixed coloured Platy. (males only unless you want tons of fry which will get eaten)

By having several Platy a bully would not pick on the same one and once he had established himself as 'The Daddy' then it will settle down.
Platy are a good fish to start with as there are so many colours but they will breed if you mix sexes and female will almost certainly be pregnant when bought.

Hope my ramblings help some ;)

Thanks for that ;)

I've already told my son that the fishie's are poorly and might have to go to live at the fish hospital! :fish:

I was going to let him choose his own replacements - but I'm not entirely sure what's suitable for the tank? :unsure:

Is you tank cycled?

If not then you have 2 options

The favoured one would be to return the fish (as you have problems with them) and follow the fishLESS cycle pinned at the head of these forums.

If you intend to cycle WITHfish then you would be restricted by hardy fish such as Platy or Danios.

Let us know your history so proper advice can be suggested

Is you tank cycled?

The favoured one would be to return the fish (as you have problems with them) and follow the fishLESS cycle pinned at the head of these forums.

If you intend to cycle WITHfish then you would be restricted by hardy fish such as Platy or Danios.

The tanks been going for approx a month now - Ammonia is 0, Nitrite is 0 and Nitrate is 10 (I think I've got those the right way around, lol)

Is you tank cycled?

The tanks been going for approx a month now - Ammonia is 0, Nitrite is 0 and Nitrate is 10 (I think I've got those the right way around, lol)

Ok so am I right in saying that it had been going for about 2 weeks empty (apart from the water of course!) then the 2 Platy were put in 2 weeks ago making the 1 month?
If correct what, if anything, did you use when you started the tank. Have you been water changing, if so when did you do the last one prior to the above test results?
I'm guessing that the stats you have given us are the same as your tap water (test that too)

Tank was going for nearly 2 weeks with no fish - fish were added just over 2 weeks ago!

Have been doing 30% water changes and tests daily plus using filter bacteria boost!

Last water change was earlier today, 6 hours prior to test! ;)

That all sounds very good.

Has your tank ever tested positive for nitrite?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back