Please help - listless betta might be dying :(

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

pocket10

Reaction score
First off, I've never posted here before, so apologies if I mess this up! Please let me know if I should be posting somewhere else/did this incorrectly.

I have a betta (named Kylo) that I got from Petco back in June. He's usually very active, swimming around his tank and eating 3-4 pellets a day. I have him in a 3-gallon tank with a Whisper filter, and I do a partial 50% change every 2 weeks.

When I do the water change, I generally scoop him out and put him in another bowl, wash out the tank and his toys (using tap water, no soap). I then add new water to the tank, use a dechlorinator and wait 15-20 minutes for the water to adjust before adding Kylo back in. Usually, he's back to his super active self within the hour.

THE SITUATION: I was traveling for work these past two weeks and had a friend housesitting. I came home to a bubble nest and he was swimming around like usual. Since work was insanely hectic and he seemed happy, I waited another week to clean his tank - yesterday, though, I noticed there was algae in his tank and he was acting a little lethargic, hanging at the bottom and hiding in his log.

I freaked out and did a 75% water change (more than I normally do) to clean off the algae. I followed my usual process - but now, poor Kylo is lying on the bottom of the tank. He looks like he's having trouble breathing (keeps opening and closing his mouth a lot), and he refuses to eat. His fins are limp and he doesn't move even when I tap the side of the tank.

What do I do? Please help - I don't want him to die! Here are photos of him a week ago + today: http://imgur.com/a/Mcq10

You fish seems to be bloated do not feed hin for 2 or 3 days.

When I do the water change, I generally scoop him out and put him in another bowl, wash out the tank and his toys
This is not good, you should be doing smaller water changes with the fish in the tank, about 50%

I do a partial 50% change every 2 weeks.
You should be doing this at least once a week depending on water quality readings.

What are your water parameters?
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Is the tank cycled
Has it got a heater
what is the water temp
What do you feed him

Can you provide a close up photo of the fish.

Here is an updated, close-up from later this afternoon. He unfortunately looks like he is doing even worse than before: http://i.imgur.com/w1V7zX9.jpg

Here is more info about my tank, using a form I got from another site:

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 3 gallons
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? No - but keep the fish tank by my apartment heater
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees normally - I have a thermometer to measure
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use? Aqueon Betta Pellets
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 3-4 pellets a day in the morning

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Every 2 weeks
What percentage of water did you change? 50%
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Dip out water
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? NutraFin Betta Plus Water Conditioner

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? I'm actually unsure how to test this. I asked at Petco, and they weren't very helpful.

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Yesterday
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Fins are limp
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? He's VERY lethargic, doesn't move even when side of glass is tapped
Is your Betta still eating? No
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? I tried cycling the water. Made him worse.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? Since June - he's always been very healthy and active

Ok Im not going to sugar coat this, You Betta is in a bad way and may die, sorry.

You may be able to give him a epsom salt bath and that may help, but be warned if not done right it could also kill him.

Epsom Salt is magnesium sulfate, which you may know as a saline (salt) laxative or a remedy to reduce swelling for humans. It is easily found nearly anywhere, often in first aid aisles and even in gas stations! Please note that humans use Epsom as a means to relax when infused into bathwater, so sometimes it has dyes or is scented. Please only use unscented, undyed Epsom when medicating your fish!

What's Epsom do?:
Epsom has a bunch of uses. Not surprisingly, its uses in fish are very similar to its uses in humans. When used properly in fish, it can act as a laxative as well as a means to reduce swelling. If used correctly in fish that have swim bladder disorder (SBD), epsom can help them swim better and even be able to sink.

What does this mean for my fish?:
These qualities mean you can help a bloated or constipated fish expel backed up waste and feel good again, as well as reduce swelling that may be caused by disease or infection. The swelling Epsom can assist with includes: popeye, external wound infection swelling, and in some cases relieve pressure from dropsy.

How much of this salt per gallon do I use?:
For Epsom, you use 1 TABLEspoon (TBSP) per gallon of water. This is three TEAspoons (TSP).

How long does the betta stay in this mixture?:
In Epsom, the betta should stay in for 10-15 minutes, with 10 being less severe need and 15 being a more severe need. Never exceed this time!

How long should my fish be left to acclimate before going back into its tank in this mixture?:
Acclimate your fish (see below) for 2-5 minutes before going back to avoid shock.

How to prepare (any) dip for your fish:

Prepping for the dip is the same for either salt type. You will need:
  • a clean fish-only 1 gallon container
  • a smaller container
  • Water conditioner
  • a measuring spoon
  • thermometer
  • net
  • your undivided attention!
  • watch/timer/alarm
  • salt per your needs

Here's what you need to do:
  1. Fill your gallon container very fully with clean, treated water. Make sure the water is the same temperature as the water the fish came from in its tank via the thermometer. This prevents temperature shock.
  2. Add the salt per recommendation and stir it until it is fully dissolved.
  3. Get a second container with 1/4 salted water like your 1 gallon tank, and the rest (3/4) with tank water (this is the "reviving station").
  4. Carefully get your fish from its home and gently put it into the water. You must make sure that the fish does not pass out! You can tell if a fish has conked out if it is no longer breathing (look at its gills, by the eyes) or if it lists to the side and becomes still. It may knock out due to the sudden change in salinity (saltiness) of the water, but can be revived.
  5. *If the fish passes out or becomes extremely stressed, remove it! Carefully but hastily put the fish into your reviving station to revive. Then, put it into its home again and try the dip another time.
  6. If the fish is not super stressed and does not pass out, be very attentive during the recommended time in the dip as the fish may jump due to discomfort or stress. Pay close attention to how long the fish has been in the dip and do not exceed the time!
  7. Once the fish is finished, put it into the reviving station to adjust back to more normal water parameters. Then, without pouring the salty water into your tank, put the fish back into its home to recover.

Good luck.

Oh no, really? But he was just fine two days ago - I'm so upset. Can you tell me what you think is wrong with him? I haven't fed him any more than usual.

Ok Im not going to sugar coat this, You Betta is in a bad way and may die, sorry.

You may be able to give him a epsom salt bath and that may help, but be warned if not done right it could also kill him.

Epsom Salt is magnesium sulfate, which you may know as a saline (salt) laxative or a remedy to reduce swelling for humans. It is easily found nearly anywhere, often in first aid aisles and even in gas stations! Please note that humans use Epsom as a means to relax when infused into bathwater, so sometimes it has dyes or is scented. Please only use unscented, undyed Epsom when medicating your fish!

What's Epsom do?:
Epsom has a bunch of uses. Not surprisingly, its uses in fish are very similar to its uses in humans. When used properly in fish, it can act as a laxative as well as a means to reduce swelling. If used correctly in fish that have swim bladder disorder (SBD), epsom can help them swim better and even be able to sink.

What does this mean for my fish?:
These qualities mean you can help a bloated or constipated fish expel backed up waste and feel good again, as well as reduce swelling that may be caused by disease or infection. The swelling Epsom can assist with includes: popeye, external wound infection swelling, and in some cases relieve pressure from dropsy.

How much of this salt per gallon do I use?:
For Epsom, you use 1 TABLEspoon (TBSP) per gallon of water. This is three TEAspoons (TSP).

How long does the betta stay in this mixture?:
In Epsom, the betta should stay in for 10-15 minutes, with 10 being less severe need and 15 being a more severe need. Never exceed this time!

How long should my fish be left to acclimate before going back into its tank in this mixture?:
Acclimate your fish (see below) for 2-5 minutes before going back to avoid shock.

How to prepare (any) dip for your fish:

Prepping for the dip is the same for either salt type. You will need:
  • a clean fish-only 1 gallon container
  • a smaller container
  • Water conditioner
  • a measuring spoon
  • thermometer
  • net
  • your undivided attention!
  • watch/timer/alarm
  • salt per your needs

Here's what you need to do:
  1. Fill your gallon container very fully with clean, treated water. Make sure the water is the same temperature as the water the fish came from in its tank via the thermometer. This prevents temperature shock.
  2. Add the salt per recommendation and stir it until it is fully dissolved.
  3. Get a second container with 1/4 salted water like your 1 gallon tank, and the rest (3/4) with tank water (this is the "reviving station").
  4. Carefully get your fish from its home and gently put it into the water. You must make sure that the fish does not pass out! You can tell if a fish has conked out if it is no longer breathing (look at its gills, by the eyes) or if it lists to the side and becomes still. It may knock out due to the sudden change in salinity (saltiness) of the water, but can be revived.
  5. *If the fish passes out or becomes extremely stressed, remove it! Carefully but hastily put the fish into your reviving station to revive. Then, put it into its home again and try the dip another time.
  6. If the fish is not super stressed and does not pass out, be very attentive during the recommended time in the dip as the fish may jump due to discomfort or stress. Pay close attention to how long the fish has been in the dip and do not exceed the time!
  7. Once the fish is finished, put it into the reviving station to adjust back to more normal water parameters. Then, without pouring the salty water into your tank, put the fish back into its home to recover.

Good luck.

He is constipated,

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back