Play sand

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

evanb

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello. I'm pretty new to the site.
I suppose it's probably been discussed many times before but what are the general thoughts on using play sand in a tank. Argos sell a bag for about £5. Pretty cheap I'd say! Is it better that gravel. I have gravel at the moment but I'm not a fan of it.(a pain to keep clean)
Let me know your thoughts, i would much appreciate it!
Thanks

I used Argos sand for many years (about 15). You need to rinse it well the first time but I thought it was great. I only changed in the last few years to get different colours.

Play sand is awesome. Way better than gravel, as waste sits on top instead of getting trapped inside it

Ok. That's great.
The cleaning of the gravel is the worst bit about it I reacon:)
Does the sand get sucked through the siphon tube?

Sand will get sucked up if you get the siphon tube too close. Hold the tube about 1 cm above the sand and make little swilring movements to lift the debris off the sand. If you use a bucket to catch the old water, just rinse any sand that ends up in there and put it back in the tank.

Hello. I'm pretty new to the site.
I suppose it's probably been discussed many times before but what are the general thoughts on using play sand in a tank. Argos sell a bag for about £5. Pretty cheap I'd say! Is it better that gravel. I have gravel at the moment but I'm not a fan of it.(a pain to keep clean)
Let me know your thoughts, i would much appreciate it!
Thanks
Definitely cheap, and safe.

Gravel is a pain, I find cleaning sand is easier. (You can YouTube how to properly clean sand, there are some great videos out there. ;))

I switched one of my tanks from gravel to sand and so far I am happy I switched. I am thinking of changing another tank to sand soon.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back