Platys And Guppies?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

mrshunt90

Reaction score
yes/no/how many/sex? If I keep mixed sex what do I do with the fry as I am not able to keep them all?

yes/no/how many/sex? If I keep mixed sex what do I do with the fry as I am not able to keep them all?

Best thing to do us get a male and a female, best looking ones and let then reproduce. You get to see them grow over the years and most will certainly get eaten when first born. You shouldn't have very large numbers for a few months, any you can't house you'll be able to take to a lfs and they'll happily resell them.

Hope I've helped. I started with the above about a year ago and now in got 6 baby fry and 12 adult sized all beautiful in colours too!!

I have an all male tank and a ladies tank both with a mix of guppies and platies, I prefer the platies but its a personal choice.

Even though they were separated out at the lfs the ladies were still preggo and have had fry which I have separated into a 3rd tank. It's worth considering males only unless you want to be overrun or know your lfs will take them back, as the ladies showed no interest in eating the fry for a few days before I oiked them out!

Also it is recommended that you get 2 ladies to every man as their constant and persistent desire to mate can literally harass the ladies to death so you need at least 2 so they can get a break! That does mean more fry, could be hundreds a month even just starting with 3 fish. Men are pretty and mine aren't overly aggressive with each other.

With a mix of male and female platties and guppies, you will have many many many babies each month. They breed worse than rabbits! Maybe stick to one sex?

It doesnt matter what you get when it comes to males and females, just keep the ratio on a 2:1 or 3:1 basis of females to males if you do get mixed gender.
My LFS doesn't take fry - well they do, but they use them as food in their other tanks. so if you're fine with that than go for it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back