The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mrstwalker

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have always had Platys, however never knew much about the hobby. My platys have always been happy and healthy, but I want to get more serious about the hobby because I want to start breeding/selling.

10 gallon tank

First: 
  • What should the pH be for platys. (Please no super technical terms lol.)
  • What should the water hardness be?
  • Should I provide a bubble blower?
  • What is the best breeder nets / ways to keep fry alive? 
  • Do fry need heater/filter? 

Please know I have already successfully bred & kept platys and fry before, I am just ready to get more "professional" about it. 

Thanks! 

*please no bashing*

In short - platies prefer water that is on the harder, alkaline side. They don't do well in soft water.
A 'bubble blower' I think you mean an airstone - are not necessary as long as the surface of the water is agitated to provide a means for oxygen exchange. The best way to do this is by directing filter flow at the surface.

Personally I don't use breeder nets or boxes, I don't like the stress they cause. I use moss and plants in the main tank to provide cover for fry and hardly any of them get eaten any more.

Fry require good water conditions, more so than the adults, so yes they need some method of filtration and heating.

Be aware though that there is no money to be made by breeding platies. They are so easy to breed that it is usually impossible to stop them, so there is not much demand.

Just a ward of worning ( ;) ) if I may.

Platies are incredibly popular. Because of this, they are also incredibly easy to get hold of. And because of this, they are incredibly cheap. In the UK, a fish which would cost £3-4 to buy in a shop, will cost that shop 75p or thereabouts. They buy from their trusted suppliers, and those suppliers are aware that if they sell substandard fish, they will lose that shop's custom to one of the other suppliers. Same situation in the US.

And then there are hobbiest breeders, such as you. Any LFS you approach is going to ask themselves a number of questions - are you cheaper? What are the quality of your fish like? Are they sure your fish won't bring infection into their systems? Whilst #1 might be "yes", #2 is a big "?" and #3 is a big "no".

You may have a little success using sites like Craigslist, but most people don't think to look anywhere other than Petsmart and Petco for their fish.

The upshot of what I'm saying is that you may find yourself overrun with fry in a very short time, with very little chance of moving significant numbers of them for reward - some LFS may take them from you for free, but very few will give you credit, let alone cash.

Do your research before you get too deep into it, ensure you have a reliable, regular outlet for the fry.

And let us know how you get on. ;)

Thank You all for the information! Several local schools, nail salons and college students have shown interest in buying from me, as my prices will be extremely low & know my fish will be much healthier than the local pet store (we do not have major corporations such as pet smart where i live, closest is 2hrs. away) 
fish.gif

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back