The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

LatexRevolver

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello, I recently got a 20 gal tank...about 2-3 weeks ago and I currently have 4 platy's, a molly and two guppies. 3 of the platy's were purchased a couple days after I got the tank, along with the dalmation molly and just two days ago I got a sunburst platy and the two guppies.

During feeding time, all of the fish come to the surface to eat however the Sunburst platy sits on the bottom, hiding in the foliage. I don't think she's sick though because she'll get up and swim around just fine, she just misses meal time. I'm not sure if she's getting any food at all, and today I tried bloodworms and she still didn't come to the surface. Is this normal? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm just worried that she's not getting food and I don't want her to starve.

Is sounds like your tank is still cycling is this so?
Can you post water stats please in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.

Are her fins clamped to her body?
Is she also acting sluggish and lethargic?
Does she have trouble getting off the bottom of the tank?
Does she look pale or darker in colour?

I have to go get my water tested since I don't have any more strips at the moment.

As for her, she seems just fine. Her fins are open, the back one is missing just a little on the tail end, but the guppies pick on her and it hasn't changed since I got her so I'm ruling out fin rot. She's bright and vibrant and swims around just fine. She just goes to the bottom when its feeding time.

I DID notice last night though my guppies chasing something around and when I looked in the tank there was a single fry. I think it was my Molly that had babies though because the two that have survive till this morning are spotted like her and she keeps scaring the fish away from them. None of the females looked pregnant though so I'm not sure who they belong to. I wonder if my Sunburst just got full from eating babies that I didn't know were there?

Which leads me to another question. Should I still do a water change with Fry present in the tank?

Bless Her. If she being picked on it could be stress. I would rehome her or isolate her for a few days if you can.

Get your water tested as soon as possible.

As for the babies you can buy fry tanks that fit inside your tank.
Just be very careful when you preform a gravel vac as fry will sometimes bury themselves in the substrate.
Just make sure they have plenty of hiding spaces. Float a plant at the top of the tank as that helps the fry to hide.
Make sure they unable to get in filter. 

Alright, i just got my water tested.

Ammonia: 0
pH: 7
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0
Hardness: 100
Chlorine: 0
Alkalinity: 140

And it looks like the Dalmation Molly has started putting the Guppy's in their place so they're not bothering her as much. As for plants, I have several at different levels including one that kind of canopy's over the top of the tank. The two fry that survived have taken to hiding near the base of that or into all of the clusters of River rocks I have on the gravel.

Did you do a fishless cycle before adding  the fish to the tank?

It's rare to have a nitrate reading of 0.
What is your tap nitrate reading please?
Do you have live plants in the tank?

Yes, I cycled it for about two weeks without fish.

As for my tap, last I checked, it was only about 4 because we live in an environment that regulates Nitrate levels.

And no, no live plants yet. I was told the tank should be established for a few months beforehand.

Your tank nitrate should be around the same as your tap water then.

How did you cycle the tank. Sorry for all the questions but just need to know.

I filled the tank till the black line  at the top of said tank, put in the conditioning fluids, waited a few days and then sprinkled some flakes. I was also told to put a little of the quick start in, just enough to get it going. a few days after getting my first fish for it, I had to do a 30% change because 3 died within 24 hours and i needed to make sure the others didn't get sick.

Alright. I'm about to do my water change so I'll go ahead and do that as well. Thank you.

That amount of salt should be fine with the fry. 
As you can't add full dose with fry in the tank.
Normally salt one tablespoon to 5 gallons of water. But it's better to add salt gradually over time.

Good Luck.
Welcome to the board.

Thank  you.

Good news. At least one Fry is still alive and well at the moment and seems to have found a wonderful hiding spot at the base of one of the plants. 

And other good news. Right after the water change, my Sunburst platy started swimming up to eat the food with the others. I don't know if it's because I fed them a vegetarian dish this go around or if she's finally grown more comfortable. But she is eating and that makes me happy.

That's good news. Bless them.
Just keep preforming water changes.
If you have anymore questions don't hesitate to post.

Most reactions

Back