The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ellio

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a query about my new Platy.

Somehow, he managed to get into the filter. Cue major panic trying to find him.

As we were taking out the filter sponges as a last resort that's where we find him. My partner said when she found him he kinda popped out and there was a cracking sound when he did so. I personally didn't hear it and don't know what it might have been but she thinks it came from him. Now, he seems mostly normal but sometimes is just laying on the bottom of the tank (right way up though) or swims fairly vertically, head up.

We've turned the light off to try and help him calm down and for the most part he seems okay.

Do you think he will be okay? What should we look out for in this instance? How did he get into the filter?! What can we do to stop it from ever happening?

In case it's relevant;
Ammonia, 0.25
Nitrite, 0
Ph, 7.8
Nitrate, 20
110L tank
In with 5 other Platys, 3 make and 2 female (yes, I know that's bad, yes we're trying to rectify it asap, ours only been like that for a day. The makes are being moved to another tank but this has now delayed the move).

Thank you

Keep the lights off and give him time to de-stress. He could be fine.

Hi,

He's stopped swimming completely and is just laying on the bottom of the tank now (still upright). Is it likely he's going to die? :(

Does he have any injury that you can see?

No. No injuries at all. And when he was swimming he was swimming fine, except when he went vertical! Although, even when he did that it was strong swimming, not like he was flailing or anything. There's no damage we can see in him at all.

He may be sore. They have nerves as we do. Well, not a central nervous system but studies show they do feel pain. I’m sure it was very stressful.

He's still alive! His tail looks a lot redder than the other one, and it's not as fanned out as the other one either. But I can't remember if he already looked like that. He's swimming a bit, and and a little bit more active. If he is in pain, is there anything we can do to help him?

Attachments

• 20190922_100442.jpg
    20190922_100442.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 189
The best thing is plenty of fresh clean water :). His fins do look a bit battered but hopefully they will recover.
Did he always have the red patch around his gills?

I hope so! We do love him.

The red by his gills is just his organs showing through, he's always had that and so does the other.

I hope so! We do love him.

The red by his gills is just his organs showing through, he's always had that and so does the other.
That's fine. I don't keep platys so thought its best to check :)

I think he’ll be fine. You can add a little aquarium salt to reduce stress and keep injury clean. One tablespoon per 5 gallons. :)

We'll look into aquarium salt, thank you. We got Melafix, thought that might help? Could he get tail rot from this?

If f you keep his water clean with the daily changes he shouldn’t.

If f you keep his water clean with the daily changes he shouldn’t.
Personally I would not do any more than this now. If he had an internal injury or haemorrage he would be dead by now - so fingers crossed everything will be ok.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back