Platies Not Eating And Dying

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FauadAnwar

Reaction score
Tank size : 2*1*1.5 feet. Length, width and height.

Tank mate: 2 guppi, 2 sword tale, 4 red tetra, 3 white moly, 3 black molly, 3 yellow molly, 5 hockey, 4 mickey mouse platty, 1 sunset platy, 1 betta, 1 zebra danio.

Came back from 7 days vacation. Had cleaned tank before going and putted vacation food in it. When i returned 2 guppi's, 1 sun set platty, 2 sowrd tale, 1 hockey, 2 red tetra, 1 mickey mouse platy. All were gone. Considered they died and other tank mate has eaten them :(. The remaining mickey mouse are not eating and dying one after another. Betta died as well. I have cleaned the tank after returning. And doing water change cycle daily since then. Tank has a filter which i run for 2 hr daily after 10% water change. A heater set to 26. An airstone. Location weather changing as its rainy days but rains coming very offen due to cyclone and most of the time room temp remain average. Today see someshaded skin on last remaining platy:(. What to do? All molles are fine.

What would be a great idea is to test the water for ammonia, using a liquid drop test kit. There are two potential problems.

The first is the vacation food. These blocks are often a cause of problems, as they effectively rot and cause high levels of ammonia.

The other issue is that your filter needs to be running permanently. This again will remove larger particles of rotting matter from the tank, and the outflow from the filter should be causing movement of the surface of the water, which is what gets oxygen into the water, and carbon dioxide out of it.

If you can do an ammonia test (and preferably nitrite, nitrate and pH as well), please post the results on here, and we can advise what the next step should be.

Will buy test kit tomorrow and check water. Attach are images of fish. And tank. The continues running of filter may exhaust fishes.

Attachments

• _20151009_221109.JPG
    _20151009_221109.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_20151009_221953.jpg
    IMG_20151009_221953.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 293

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back