Plant Suggestions for Small Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PygmyMitch

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I need help in choosing some plants for my tank. I’m open to any suggestions, but also have seen a few I like the look of.

My tank is a 48L tank, split into two compartments. The Main tank area and the filter compartment (its a custom built filter)
The aprox dimensions of the main area:
L: 400mm D: 300mm H:310mm (aprox 37.2L)

I’m not keen on the current plants I have(see attached photos) When doing a 50% water change they fall down and cover the whole area of the tank, taking up the all of the space, leaving very little room for the fish.

The last photo is the ones that I like the look of. has anyone had any of these, and can shed some info on them. easy to care for ? grow fast or slow ? stay small or grow large ?

Thanks.

Attachments

• AE355297-40C0-401C-89B9-6587E48A73E2.jpeg
    AE355297-40C0-401C-89B9-6587E48A73E2.jpeg
    389.9 KB · Views: 38
  • D8D523C2-815F-4C5B-BA21-704C1CB6E50D.jpeg
    D8D523C2-815F-4C5B-BA21-704C1CB6E50D.jpeg
    366 KB · Views: 41
  • 3BDF1FE8-E34B-4DD9-9588-FFA189A29CC5.png
    3BDF1FE8-E34B-4DD9-9588-FFA189A29CC5.png
    300.5 KB · Views: 38
I love the plants you have already, especially the tallest one (lobelia? or Hydrocotyle of some kind maybe?) looks really healthy and thriving! Would be a shame to lose that. The one on the right is a java fern, which is one of the plants people attach to hardscape or leave to sit around on the surface, easy to grow, slow growing, good beginner plant. But you need to lift it enough to uncover the rhizome, the thick stem that all the little roots are growing from? That part must not be planted in the substrate, or it will begin to rot and kill the plant. You can just lift until the rhizome stem is above the sand while leaving the roots buried, or leave it unplanted, or attach it to hardscape.
Most of the plants you've shown as possible ones, I don't think are great for beginners or low tech tanks... I never have any luck with alternanthera, you need CO2, ferts and good light to make that plant grow well. Every time I try it in my low tech tanks, it looks more brown than red, struggles to grow, looks rubbish for a while, then dies off.

The baby tears carpeting plant also really needs CO2 and a high tech tank to do well. I just don't want you to waste a fortune on more demanding and difficult plants, only to be put off planted tanks when they don't thrive, when it wouldn't be your fault. Look for plants that are labelled easy, and that don't need CO2.

Check out the Pro-Shrimp website. I've bought from them several times and no complaints at all, better prices than the one shown, especially in the potted plants and clearance sections!

But first things first - I'd plan and buy some hardscape for the tank first. You want to place the plants on and around the hardscape, and only have the one ornament right now. Plants don't like to be moved, since they don't move around in nature, so better to do any wood/stone/ornaments you want as the base of the scape, then choose plants to put around and onto that stuff, you know? The fish would definitely appreciate some more hidey holes, like some wood, stones, and plants tucked among them.

Check out the Tropica inspirations page to get some ideas of how you might like the tank to look. Yes they're advanced aquascapers, but they also do some simple layouts with easy plants, and you can often see progress photos of how they built it, like the hardscape construction before they planted it up. I'll give a rough example from one of my own tanks in another post - remind me if I forget!

Ludwegia(lots of different types out there. Some need high light to reach full potential)
Bacopa
Dwarf Sag(gets a bit too tall to be a carpeting plant for a 10g maybe)
Pygmy chain swords(good carpeting plant)
Pearl Weed(Great carpet plant)
Hornwort(grows super fast and looks great)
Some crypts are good
Temple Plant is cool
Water Sprite grows insanely fast

You want floating plants.
Frogbit, Red Root Floater, and Salvinia are all great choices.

All these are low-tech plants.

I prefer the look of wood personally, so when planning a new tank, I go to a store and see what wood pieces they have, same applies to stone. If you find a great piece that you love, it often helps to build the scape from that.
Like this one from Tropica as an example:
hardscape bones.jpeg

So they either bought one wood piece that looked like that, or more likely, attached a few pieces together to make this shape. The wood and stones are the 'skeleton' of the scape, and they built the plant plans around this skeleton, make sense?
after bones are planted.jpeg

They've used a lot of easy to grow, low maintenance rhizome plants that can be attached to the wood and stone, rather than planted. I see anubius, buces and bolbitis (I have bolbitis too, love it) so while this tank took some planning, the plants don't grow fast and need frequent trimming or anything, and the cave shape and dense planting suits the ram or apisto species you can see in the photo.

In one scape I did, not my favourite of mine, but it has the most progress photos to help me explain.

I started with this wood piece I'd found, because I had plecos and cories that I knew would love the wooden cave to hide in and around. So I saw that piece as essential, and played around with other hardscape pieces to try to build a scape that would be designed mainly to suit the plecos and school of corydoras I planned to put in this tank. Cories need soft sand, so that was an easy choice to make too.
DSCF8611.JPG

Since I had dark sand and a cave like piece of bogwood as essential to the scape, and cories like some open space to feed and potter about, I used this Tropica layout as inspiration for my own, wanting to do something with a similar mood, which I think of as "gloomy sunken underwater forest":
gloomy forest scape inspo.jpeg

The hardscape and planting provide plenty of hiding space, but also left some open room for large cories to explore, feed and play.

I tried so many arrangements using different pieces! It's worth taking photos of the different arrangements you try, so you can look at them more objectively, and re-create a previous arrangment if you find you preferred a previous attempt, but have forgotten how you did it! Photos mean you can see how you had it before and recreate it.
DSCF8642.JPG

I actually liked this look... but it's a LOT of wood, and I'm a plant nut, so I knew I'd end up removing a lot of pieces to make room for more plants. But I could just have easily kept this arangement, and stuck with slow growing, rhizome having plants like the buce/anubius/java ferns/mosses etc. But since I like a variety of plants, for it to grow a bit wild, and some fast growing plants too, I didn't go with this one below:
DSCF8634.JPG

Next two photos, you need to decide if you want a central arrangement, or to the left or right, and what you decide to do might depend on what hardscape pieces you find and like!
DSCF8695.JPG
DSCF8825.JPG

Once you have an arrangement of the hardscape you like, then you can look at what plants would suit it, and suit what you want. Whether you want something easy that doesn't require weekly trimming, or a mix of both, or high tech with CO2 and delicate, deeply coloured plants!

I had some plants from my other tanks, but bought a lot too. In the next photo you'll see most of the plants are still in their pots, because I was arranging them without planting or attaching them yet, to check I liked how it would look:
DSCF8827.JPG

After I'd planted it up and plants like the amazon frogbit on the surface were growing in:

DSCF8867.JPG

In the end I didn't end up keeping this scape for very long because I decided I wanted a much longer and bigger tank, upgrading them from this 36g to a 63g with a bigger footprint. But the plecos and cories did and still do love that main wooden cave piece that I built this tank around, so that piece is going to be central in the 63g too!

I'd recommend having a floating plant - all fish feel safer with some overhead cover like that, and they're good for water quality. NOT duckweed though. That stuff is evil. But any other floating plant is easy to maintain and great for water quality too.

You can also mix real and fake! Some of those tanks with themes and fake decor can be some of the most fun and beautiful, and ignore anyone who gets snobby about only having real decor. Real plants are definitely beneficial for sure, but there's no law against mixing in some fake ones for a pop of brighter colour, or having a lord of the rings theme tank with a hobbit hole, real plants and some fake decor for fun! I love my real wood, stone and live plants, but I still fully intend to make some themed tanks that include some fake decor in the future. I have some decor in the cupboard for that project! As long as the fake stuff is tank safe.

From the Tropica Inspirations page:
mixing fake and real scape easy.jpeg

Another easy scape idea that might suit your current tank! Low maintenance and low tech plants that don't require huge maintenance, I'd move your two current plants more towards the back, as background plants, then shorter plants in the foreground.

easy low maintenance.jpeg

This one has more difficult, advanced plants that require CO2, but it's easy to just mimic the style of a layout you like, but adapt it how you like. It wouldn't be too hard to create a lower maintenance, easier version of the scape with less demanding plants:
island scape.jpeg

Hope this is making sense and isn't bombarding you with too much stuff!

I’m not keen on the current plants I have(see attached photos) When doing a 50% water change they fall down and cover the whole area of the tank, taking up the all of the space, leaving very little room for the fish.

@Byron or @Wills any idea what the plant is in the OP photos? Obviously one is a java fern, but not sure on the other, I'm thinking maybe a ludwegia?

@sam_mitchell98 you can trim the stems of that plant down anytime you like, then replant the trimmings if you'd like to grow more. The current plant could also have sections split off, like if you pulled/trimmed it into two separate pieces, you could easily sell some of it, or the trimmings when you cut it back. As long as the weather isn't too hot or too cold, you can post plants to people by wrapping the plant in damp paper towel, putting in a plasic bag, and send in a letterbox sized parcel box. Sometimes a bubble envelope would work, but delicate plants might get squished in the post, so I favour a small box.

You're doing something right, because that plant looks great!
Useful vid from Tropica and George Farmer (a legend in the planted tank world, creates beautiful aquascapes and also has a great YouTube channel!) about how to trim and maintain the plants. Like outdoor plants, cutting a plant back usually produces better growth as well.

for a small tank, some plants like amazon swords won't have enough room to grow,
and vals and giant vals will also take over the tank easily
but in my opinion anything other than that would look amazing

@connorlindeman I read that Banana Plants are in the water lily family and sometimes send up a flower. A Banana Plant was my first aquarium plant way back in the olden days of 1965 and they still make me smile when I see them.
They definitely are a unique plant.

Since you were looking at Aqua Essential's site, I have this plant in my 30 cm cube.

It is a slow growing plant but even with just shrimps in mine it has grown large. It is the plant at the front right on the tnak. This photo was taken in August last year and it's a lot bigger now.

shrimp tank.JPG

Since you were looking at Aqua Essential's site, I have this plant in my 30 cm cube.

It is a slow growing plant but even with just shrimps in mine it has grown large. It is the plant at the front right on the tnak. This photo was taken in August last year and it's a lot bigger now.

View attachment 313573
From far away, it looks just like anubias nana!
Is it faster growing than anubias?

Yes it is faster growing than anubias, but not as fast as stem plants. The leaves do look very similar to anubias bonzai - that's on the wood on the left of my photo :)

Yes it is faster growing than anubias, but not as fast as stem plants. The leaves do look very similar to anubias bonzai - that's on the wood on the left of my photo :)
oh! i never knew it was 2 different plants! now that i look closer, it grows on the ground instead of a piece of wood, and it is also lighter in color

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back