Plans For New Planted Aquarium: Juwel Vision 180

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

RCA

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have had the above tank sitting empty for sometime while I consider what to do with it, although to be honest I bought a 215L about a week before and that has kept me busy!

I am planning to set it up as a planted tank, all my tanks generally have live plants but this one will be the showcase - I hope.

I have just ordered some terrace to divide the tank, with a view to having the back higher.  I already have some JBL substrate and Unipac fine gravel/sand.  I have been advised to use pea-gravel at the bottom of the base to assist in building up the height prior to adding the JBL and Unipac. 

Can you tell me if there is anything I need to consider with this plan?

I am hoping to pick up the terrace and gravel tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

NB: I will hopefully start a journal on the progression of this project.

I have a big hill in my tank which has a play sand substrate. I used gravel underneath to keep the main structure and good thing I did, bc the sand has still settled a lot. Sand naturally wants to even itself out somewhat.  Remember to not put the under layer substrates close to the glass, bc they will move a bit over time and you don't want to start seeing the layers in a couple months.  GL, and can't wait to see some pictures!

Thanks, I think I viewed your journal with the sand and gravel.  Main thing is that it is OK to use the pea-gravel as the base to build on, that is what I wanted to know for sure.

Good tip about the layers although the tank is in the corner of the room so I will only have one side to consider this with.

Plus I agree "Never enough Cories..." as per your signature.

Its fine to use pea gravel as an under substrate.  I would put it in media bags to prevent pulling bits of pea gravel up above the sand when you up root plants.  And when/if you do do that, do it gently or you will lift the bag :)  Other people have used alfagrog as it helps with filtration too.

Thanks Mishmash very helpful, instead of media bags could I use say a large piece of muslin or similar in between the layers?  Do the plants find their way through this sort of thing and the media bags?  I will do a hunt for large media bags also.

I looked at the Alfagrog, but it says this has to be replaced every 12 months - I would not want to uproot everything once it was established.  I guess with the pea-gravel I would be OK to leave it in.  Has anyone used Alfagrog and can say how it has been for them?

Interestingly I came across a new LFS near me, and the guy used to run a LFS that I first went to as a child (well grown-up now, at least in age 
wink.png
), he then sold it and bought a garden centre.  It then obviously grew back into a new fish business for his son to run.  They claim the best filter you could ever use is an under-gravel filter, but run with a power-head vs the old fashioned way of air.  What thoughts do people have about this?

The tank came with x2 Eheim Eco Pro 2036's, so that is what I plan to use for my filtration.

Thanks in advance.

I think I have heard that plants and under-gravel filters can cause a lot of problems, but I'm not positive. If you can't get a clear answer on here, I would post a question about it in here in the planted section.  It would be a shame to start off with something that will just cause problems for you. 

greenmumma141 said:
I think I have heard that plants and under-gravel filters can cause a lot of problems, but I'm not positive. If you can't get a clear answer on here, I would post a question about it in here in the planted section.  It would be a shame to start off with something that will just cause problems for you. 

Cheers, I am not planning to put an under-gravel into the aquarium, as personally I do not care for them, plus I would loose my Kuhlis :)  I am just interested in peoples opinions on this subject/comment said to me?

Plus I thought this was the place to discuss this subject, should I be somewhere else in the forum?

Hoping to collect my Terrace and Pea-Gravel tomorrow.

I will try and take a picture of the tank as it is now, and then build on it in a journal as I know I like looking at
kewlpics.gif

Whoops, it appears you are in the exact right place :rolleyes: I didn't get my full 8 hours the other night lol.  

IDK really about the under-gravel filters, I've heard people that use them and love them, a LFS i go to occasionally uses only them as well, but then I've heard ppl say that they've heard horror stories about them lol.  

Can't wait for the journal and the pics, they're my fav part of the forum :)

greenmumma141 said:
Whoops, it appears you are in the exact right place
rolleyes.gif
I didn't get my full 8 hours the other night lol.  

[deleted text]

Can't wait for the journal and the pics, they're my fav part of the forum
smile.png

Phew, I did take a look elsewhere and thought where am I supposed to be?
hehe.gif
   Glad I AM in the right place.

Yes, the journals are also one of my favourite parts, hence wanting to share the journey with you all.

I think I just noticed someone else starting one on this tank - will go and take a peek
cool.png
Oops just noticed it is the one I have been looking at - the Juwel Rio 180, the same but different as they say ;)

There's a lot of really good planted journals on here, I've learned so much just going through them. great stuff :)

Good news, I have found some media bags.  They are with a local pond supplier and are bright orange, so will need to be well hidden.  I am planning to go fish shopping tomorrow (don't you just love doing that) so will pick them up then.

In case you missed it in my signature, I have started the journal  ><)))*> New Project: Juwel Vision 180 Planted Journal <*(((><  and hope to be updating it after working on the gravel etc., on Sunday.  Hoping my 11y/o nephew is in the mood to wash gravel with me :)  Until then ...

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back