plakat bettas

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

finfayce

Fish Addict
Reaction score
what is the difference between plakat bettas and other bettas?

A short tail. The term "plakat" is just the word for Betta in Thailand, where they originate. So a plakat betta is a betta betta. In the US it is used for betta splendens that have short tails.

A short tail. The term "plakat" is just the word for Betta in Thailand, where they originate. So a plakat betta is a betta betta. In the US it is used for betta splendens that have short tails.
thanks. so basically same as other bettas as far as care?

thanks. so basically same as other bettas as far as care?
Yes, they are the same species, just with a shorter tail. Like the different between having black hair or brown. You can have them in a deeper tank when they are older, without all those heavy fins weighing them down.

Yes, they are the same species, just with a shorter tail. Like the different between having black hair or brown. You can have them in a deeper tank when they are older, without all those heavy fins weighing them down.
yeah and less fins to get sick and die like my last one?

thank you. i appreciate it. i feel so guilty that he died.
It happens, as sad as it is. I have had a few fish jump out of the tank, had some fish kill others by jumping a divider. Fish also just get old and eventually pass away. I am sure you did the best you could at the time, just as you will do what you can in the future.

It happens, as sad as it is. I have had a few fish jump out of the tank, had some fish kill others by jumping a divider. Fish also just get old and eventually pass away. I am sure you did the best you could at the time, just as you will do what you can in the future.
thanks again ?

what is the difference between plakat bettas and other bettas?
The Betta Genus contains numerous species including Betta splendens (Siamese fighting fish). The Siamese fighting fish come in the long finned form that everyone here keeps. It also comes in a short fin form that is used for fighting. The original short finned type is called a plakat in its homeland. Basically a plakat Betta is simply a short fin Siamese fighting fish.

Plakat are more hardy and not so prone to fins rot like those with big fins and tail.

Some videos for you to watch:

hey thanks! i think my next betta will be a plakat. it says they are more active. my former fish laid down on fake almond leaves. it took 2 leaves for all his fins to fit. i guess the the longer the tails makes it more difficult to be active?
anyway- i have to cycle the tank and then pick out a plakat ?

The Betta Genus contains numerous species including Betta splendens (Siamese fighting fish). The Siamese fighting fish come in the long finned form that everyone here keeps. It also comes in a short fin form that is used for fighting. The original short finned type is called a plakat in its homeland. Basically a plakat Betta is simply a short fin Siamese fighting fish.
thanks Colin ?

Most reactions

trending

Back