Pineconing betta, still lively

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Irksome

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I thought that last night she might been but decided it was a trick of the light. Today it is definitely not a trick of the light. She is still swimming around and eating, she just jumped to take a pellet from my finger. Should I add salt to the tank? I cannot get antibiotics here. She has recently had a string of stress related illnesses after I reduced the water change regime and a guppy had fry in her tank. The water changes will be increased to every day now. I know her survival chances are slim. Will salt and water changes help at this (early) stage?

He needs to fast so don’t let him eat the fry. You can try epsom salt baths. It will pull fluid out. Add 1 teaspoon of epsom salt to a gallon of dechlorinated water. Let the fish swim in it for 5 minutes. Then return to tank. You can do baths 3 times a day. Fast the fish for 3 days then feed a blanched, deshelled pea. Hope this helps. Pineconing isn’t a good sign but it’s worth a try.

@Deanasue thankyou for the advice. I will try this. I haven’t seen her eat any fry and the numbers don’t appear to be dropping but I will try and organise a quieter tank setup for her.

Make sure they are plain epsom salts. They are also used for humans to add to a bath to relieve aches and pains and many brands have perfume added.

guppy fry won't affect a Betta, if anything the Betta might eat them.

if you have problems with fish, it helps if you can post a clear picture of it.

what does the fish's poop look like?

guppy fry won't affect a Betta, if anything the Betta might eat them.

if you have problems with fish, it helps if you can post a clear picture of it.

what does the fish's poop look like?
I will post a picture if her when I get home. The poop is chunky and white I think, I never seem to catch her in the act...

Stringy white poop is a problem and indicates an internal problem.

Internal bacterial infections cause sudden bloating (dropsy) and stringy white poop.

Internal protozoan infections cause the fish to do stringy white poop and lose weight over a week or so before they die.

Stringy white poop is a problem and indicates an internal problem.

Internal bacterial infections cause sudden bloating (dropsy) and stringy white poop.

Internal protozoan infections cause the fish to do stringy white poop and lose weight over a week or so before they die.
I have recently treated the tank for internal parasites and ich parasites. The overall health in the tank was stable for a few months and then plummeted. I’m going to work hard to get it back.

@Colin_T this is a picture of my unfortunate fish, definitely looks like a pine cone to me, she also has fin rot and was treated last week for ich. My guess is the prognosis is terrible.

Attachments

• 5EA78AAD-8E5A-4D0B-8E7D-62A8B0456DD7.jpeg
    5EA78AAD-8E5A-4D0B-8E7D-62A8B0456DD7.jpeg
    198.3 KB · Views: 88
definitely bacterial and it's probably too far gone, but you can try if you like.

definitely bacterial and it's probably too far gone, but you can try if you like.
Beyond water changes and Epsom salts there isn’t anything else I can really do is there? I suspect I misdiagnosed the bacterial infection as ich when there was still time to fix it. Antibiotics are not easily available here.

Without anti-biotics there isn't much you can do, and it's probably too late now anyway.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back