Pimelodus Blochii? Possibly...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

ƂĀ§tudz

A True Oddball
Reaction score
hey all,

I picked up two new catfish today, which have worked wonders for my tank!
they are bold and full of life, the Dat not comes out, and even my two Pimelodus orantus come out, which is great.

The spanner barbs just didnt seem to cut it.

I have one about 8" and the other maybe 10"
here are some blurry pics of the cats, even at ISO 800 on my camera they were a little too fast:

as always, click for larger images:

what are your thoughts?

After a little more research, they could be P. absconditus...

I was going to say yes, most likely one of the P.blochii complex, but the adipose fin doesn't look quite right...although I have seen some pictures with an adipose fin the same shape as yours, but others with a much smaller or differently shaped one altogether. The fact that there are a whole bunch of fish lumped into the 'blochii' complex means that they could, ultimately all be different species.
I'd say accept it as a P.blochii, as care and tank requirements will be the same.
HTH
Martin

After a little more research, they could be P. absconditus...
Highly unlikely as they are not known to the aquarium trade (the only image I can find on PlanetCatfish is of a preserved specimen).
Martin

sorry i cant help, but whats the stripey fish in the pictures ? kind of looks like a stripey bushfish ? looks great anyway.

Thanks for the help, I've had them Id'd as P. obsconditus
Same care as blochii and relatively the same size.

@moochy13 that is a Siamese tigerfish - Datnioides microlepis

Thanks for the help, I've had them Id'd as P. obsconditus
Same care as blochii and relatively the same size.
Can I ask who ID'd them?
I have to say I'd be very surprised that they are Pimelodus absconditus, considering there are no known keepers and no images of any live fish on google...
Personally think you should ask the same question over on PlanetCatfish and see what they say.
Martin

Hi , over the year`s I have had over a dozen of these fish , they are a beautiful active but voracious fish the largest was around 10 inch`s and heavy in the body girth the colours tended to dull a little as they got older , their life span with me ranged from 5 to 9 years ( though obviously they may get bigger and live longer in their natural habitat ) and they tended to become more solitary with age although they were all happy to take whitebait from my hand at feeding time I found they were a good match tank mate with larger free swimming fish like oscars etc. , they were in those day`s sold as P.Blochii and that was what I displayed them as in show`s ( unsuccessfully sadly ) , however as Martin say`s there may be an issue with the name still as no one was ever sure in the 70`s/80`s , I sent 3 of the preserved carcases`s to the British Natural History Museum in London , but the characteristic`s I have given you of them will not change irregardless of their name , have lot`s of pleasure with them and good luck on " planet catfish " if you get a possitive ID on them please update me :good:

The Id was an a culmination of talks with a friend of mine.
I did find a picture of a shoal of them in google images... but then when Ive searched today I realised I had googled pimelodus albofasciatus the link

I will head over later and post the request on PCF, and I might even give Julian Dignal a nudge see if he knows :) so they could be P. albofasciatus, although the images I do find are all contradicting lol.
I supped they could even be... a hybrid :'(

Might be worth posting a thread over at planetcatfish, they are usually great at promptly identifying catfish species.

Most reactions

trending

Back