PheonixKingZ’s Freshwater Journal.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Would you think it would be a good idea? Will it hurt the fish?

Would you think it would be a good idea? Will it hurt the fish?
I can’t think of any reasons as to why it would hurt the fish. However, I could be wrong.

Maybe other members with more experience in the matter can assist further.

I wouldn’t have thought that @Colin_T would know, but he said he doesn’t know. I wouldn’t think it would hurt the fish, all my moss has been in QT for over 4 days, I would think that it wood be fine. :)

Hey guys!

IM ADDING THE “DOME” MOSS TO MY 2.5 GAL. BETTA TANK!!

It has been in QT foe over 4 days, and I plan to clean it off really good, before adding it to my tank! I have one question, “How will I weigh it down?”

I was thing.....

1. Supper gluing a small rock on the bottom of it, to weigh it down.
  2. Setting small rocks on the sides of it, to weigh it down.
What do you guys suggest? :)

I don't put terrestrial plants in aquariums because they belong on land. Land mosses like wet feet but don't naturally occur underwater.

I put it in yesterday! He loves it! :D

He just rests on on that little piece of moss, (I’m guessing because it’s so soft). I put it in QT for over 4 days, and I’m glad I did! There was no mud leaking from it, and there is no stench from the tank. I am happy with my decision to put the moss in the tank. Thank you for your help/advice! :)

Be careful with things you are putting in your tank. You never know what they have on them or in them. Some chemicals, such as commercial fertilizer never come out. Rain run off can wash such things over moss and driftwood and it will soak it in. Use caution!

Ok, so guys......my betta is looking terrible! His fins are all ripped up (I have no clue why, the filter intake is covered with panty hose, so I have no clue why his fins are getting ripped!)

I did a 40% water change today, and a gravel vacuum. I here clean water will grow back fins in no time, is this true?:)

Well, it is true that clean water will help but not “ in no time”. It takes a while. Depending on how bad they got, they may never look like they did. Hate to say that but would rather prepare you in case they don’t. If they do, we can be pleasantly surprised. I do large water changes in my betta tank every 2 days because they live in a divided 10 gallon tank. I have come to the realization that nitrates over 10ppm can begin eating at their tails. Until you start seeing some regrowth, ( Clear skin), I would do a daily water change of about 75%. I also add a teaspoon of dissolved aquarium salt when my betta has tail damage. We can debate all day long on the benefits/risk of aquarium salt but I am a big believer in it for fin repair. You didn’t put any of that Moss in the tank, did you? Lol. P.S. - Can we get a pic?

I just saw your betta in the TOM contest. It looks like he may be nipping at it due to the last cation and the fact that he has a long tail. Get him a taller plant to lay in or a leaf hammock. They like bright colors too. It f he is nipping at it, he’s either bored or his tail is too heavy. Tall plants or a hammock will give him a place to rest.

Thank you! Yes, I did put the small piece of in the tank. (It is to the far left), could I make a DIY hammock? Also, what are some tall plants, (easy to grow) that I could put in there? Thanks! :)

I suck at plants so I’m the wrong person to ask. Maybe some Amazon Swords? @Byron, can you help with some plant suggestions?

I suck at plants so I’m the wrong person to ask. Maybe some Amazon Swords? @Byron, can you help with some plant suggestions?

This is a 10g tanks with a male Betta. The best plant bar none would be a good floating species, and here Water Sprite tops the list. Betta are surface fish and live naturally among floating vegetation. Other substantial plants include Water Lettuce and Frogbit, but the Water Sprite is still far superior here.

As for lower plants, the normal Amazon Sword will get much too large, but the pygmy chain swords will do well. They can get up to six or so inches in th length of the leaves, and often will grow near-vertical with floating plants shading the light. Vallisneria (the smaller corkscrew variety) is another, but does better in moderately hard water.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back