What's new

PH readings don’t match

Irksome

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hiya. I just checked my water pH in my planted tank with my ntlab testing kit and it came up as over 8. I double checked it with universal indicator paper which came up at pH7. I usually get a reading of about 7.8 and my water provider states 7.59. should I assume that both readings are wrong?

FishkeeperLinz

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi.

I'd redo the NT labs test.

I had a similar "problem" when checking a bucket of water which had my almond leaves soaking in it. I'm in a fairly softwater area, KH is 2, so I expected the pH in the bucket to nosedive. It skyrocketed instead - over 9 o_O. At this point, I was thinking "thank goodness this is a bucket of tap water, and not in the tank!"

I retested it with a different pH test and it came out as 6. Redone with the original bottle and it also read 6.

Conclusion? Duff test.

seangee

Reaction score
Is there a reason why you are testing pH? I.e. have you done something that you are expecting it to change?
pH is not something I normally bother to check, and in my case its difficult because my pH is well below 6 so normal tests don't work. But it really doesn't matter, as long as the fish are healthy and you know nothing has changed.

OP
Irksome

Irksome

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Is there a reason why you are testing pH? I.e. have you done something that you are expecting it to change?
pH is not something I normally bother to check, and in my case its difficult because my pH is well below 6 so normal tests don't work. But it really doesn't matter, as long as the fish are healthy and you know nothing has changed.
I don’t usually test it either but I have recently completed a blackout treatment for slime algae and I wasn’t sure if it would affect the water quality.

trending

Most reactions - Past 7 days