pH and fish cycling

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mlee0332

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I was just wondering...

I have had a tank cycling for about 2-3 weeks now, and it has fish in it. The pH has dropped to between 6.2-6.8 (closer the 6.2) (for no reason, and so has all of my tanks btw)

I am cloning it by using the aerobic from my established tank. I have bacteria EVERYWHERE on that aerobic and the aerobics for the filter in the cycling tank. I STILL have an ammonia reading and the no2s and no3s are on 0.0ppm. I just dont know why it hasn't cycled yet, especially since I have bacteria in the tank. What is there for me to do? (BTW: i am maintaining ammonia reading at 0.25 ppm)

I have been doing DAILY water changes (25%) EVERY day for the past 3 weeks, and I am ready to be able to enjoy it with out having to do that everyday. what's the problem?

edit: i have also noticed brown algae growth recently (like 2-3 days) if that has anything of reference to my problem.

mlee0332 said:
I was just wondering...

I have had a tank cycling for about 2-3 weeks now, and it has fish in it. The pH has dropped to between 6.2-6.8 (closer the 6.2) (for no reason, and so has all of my tanks btw)

I am cloning it by using the aerobic from my established tank. I have bacteria EVERYWHERE on that aerobic and the aerobics for the filter in the cycling tank. I STILL have an ammonia reading and the no2s and no3s are on 0.0ppm. I just dont know why it hasn't cycled yet, especially since I have bacteria in the tank. What is there for me to do? (BTW: i am maintaining ammonia reading at 0.25 ppm)

I have been doing DAILY water changes (25%) EVERY day for the past 3 weeks, and I am ready to be able to enjoy it with out having to do that everyday. what's the problem?

edit: i have also noticed brown algae growth recently (like 2-3 days) if that has anything of reference to my problem.
For your algae problem i would keep your light off more because thats wut causes algae!

*Angel* said:
mlee0332 said:
I was just wondering...

For your algae problem i would keep your light off more because thats wut causes algae!
Actually brown algae is caused by low lighting conditions and nitrate in the tank. It's very common when a tank is first cycled. you can halt the brown algae by putting someting else in the tank that'll compeat with it for food like a fast growing low light plant or you can breakup the time you have your lights on to like 2 4 hour stretches instead of one long 8 hour period.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back