Pets At Home

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.
My store is the hylton cast store at sunderland. P@H beats some of the LFS who have apparently kept fish for years~!

I know where I am going at the weekend.

I was in my 2 local pets at homes at the weekend looking for male betta's.

One shop the bettas were literally all dead; I walked out not wanting to look anymore and the other one had some healthy ones and I really like one of them.

HOWEVER Sunderland is just down the road so I might just have to have a trip :).

EDIT: I was just reading what JoshuaA had said about Maidenhead Aquatics having less complaints - I'm not dissing the shop but there won't be as many complaints as they aren't as "big" as Pets at Home. I don't have a Maidehead Aquatics anywhere close to me unfortunately..

Also with Pets at Home, people will shop there because sometimes there just isn't another place to get fish from. I can't say I know of a good LFS close to me; there was one I liked but when I was in at the weekend their stock didn't look very good. I must say one of my pets at home seemed to have the best stock :blink:

Well my local P@H isn't that bad - Yeah the advise isnt great but they have good prices when it comes to food and equipment.

I wouldnt buy fish from them however and always go to my local Maidenhead Aquatics to buy my fish and advise! there great!

In aberdeen it depends whos working on the service you get! theres a guy works there seems to be very knowledgeable and helpful will advise on whats good for the tank and wont sell you anything that he doest think will work in your tank. Then theres otherones that just dont have a clue!Being a newbie i bought 2 shrimp (red clawed shrimp) and was told by the young girl that my fish would be fine these shrimp scavange! they have eaten 3 of my fish so far so they are going back to the shop tomorrow! im sticking to my independant fish store from now on!

if Maidenhead Aquatics can sale good quality fish. then why cant Pets at Home do the same.
They can, some brances of Pets at Home have excellent fish, Stockport, Giltbrook, they're 2 of my favourites, some Maidenhead aquatics branches aren't prefect you know, my local, MA at Trowell have had some pretty shockingly ill fish on display.

People keep on blowing on about how P@H are a franchise and so some are amazing. I worked for them for several months and frankly, the whole thing is run from the top. Every store has the same policies, procedures, training, etc. Sure, some are run by particularly shoddy managers and some have poor staff but you get that with any shop or any service in the world. My bone with P@H is the awful training, the arrogance the area/district management exhibits, the lack of information on the various species that exist (most people I worked with thought that knowing that you shouldn't keep a red-tailed and rainbow shark together made them experts) . . . I have so many horror stories from working there and I had to compromise my morals so many times on instruction from the area managers and other higher authorities in the company that I had to leave.

And that's before I get annoyed at the number of dead fish in tanks and gobby sales staff.

Frankly, if a P@H store is truly amazing it will be breaking every rule in the P@H handbook. Most seem OK because people don't stick around long enough to find out the nasties.

I would "rise above them" and stop harping on about P@H but when animals are dying daily as a result of their profit-mongering, I find it hard to keep calm.

It's hard to be told that you need to sell goldfish into 10 litre tanks "or else" and that a totally un-cycled tank with a ton of new fish requires no additional water changes and that if you advise customers to do even tri-weekly water changes on a tank with ammonia problems you are stepping right out of line. I've had disciplinary proceedures brought against me for fabricated complaints that clearly never happened and yet they didn't mind that I had to essentially spell suffering and death for dozens of fish a week because store and company policy required me to sell fish into pretty dire situations. Sure, they tick all the right boxes and tell you to bring your water in for testing and don't let you make massive, obvious mistakes but I know what the supplier is like and the fact that if you refuse to sell fish out of a bay that had a sick or dead fish in (as the company says you should), you'd effectively have to close the entire aquatics section. Every shipment had dozens of sick and dying fish, every tank had sickly fish, every day dozens would die from the main bays or isolation tanks (which doubled as disease treatment and new-fish quarentine tanks). Only one treatment was permitted at my store and it seems this happens all over. A super-strength whitespot treatment was used as a cure all for everything. No fish recieved decent remedial care even when something as simple as some different food or a salt bath could cure them. Hell, I rescued some newts from there who were literally being abused. Not just "not treated very well". They were living in water that has at least 2ppm of ammonia and nitrites, they had missing limbs from being put into water that was 7-10 degrees C too warm and they had been bought into the store on a whim. This is NOT an insolated incident.

Yes, I know a lot of my bugs where with what happened at my store but from the reaction I got from upper management when I complained, this stuff happens up and down the country, even in the very best stores. I was literally told to shut up and stop moaning or leave and take my "new fangled" opinions elsewhere. I don't know how many times I heard "there are many different opinions in fishkeeping", even when I was providing scientific evidence for why I was right and all they could do was say "our experts have made our policies and they are correct". Even the training literature had a "learn this and forget everything else and please keep your opinions at home" clause.

Obviously some stores will be good, especially if the manager has the balls to ignore some of the training stuff and policies. Plus every so often you find a real fishkeeper working there who knows about all the fish (or will help you research if they don't know), who can talk to you about plants with competence, can help you set up a variety of different systems and take you step by step through any kind of cycle you want to try, who knows about the various temperature, pH and hardness needs of many species (beyond "soft water", "hard water", "tropical" and "coldwater") and generally knows their shizz. Didn't have one of those working at my store. I was the baby there and yet still knew more on fishkeeping than everyone else, possibly put together.

So, I hate P@H. I only shop there in an emergency. Pity, really, as I made some friends there and it's the closest pet shop to me.

Hmmm ...

well from personal experience..

Petsathome in Blackwood (South Wales) is terrible. Badly designed (loads of sunlight on fish tanks), poor, poor fish stock with very little staff knowledge, expensive and in a prime location to be pretty much the 'only' local store.

Petsathome in Aberystwyth (Mid Wales) considerable better, better stock (although survivability of fish is till ropey), better store design, helpful staff (in the main).

Petsathome customer service (the dedicated CS team no the store CS - 100% awesome.

I was waiting for assaye to chip in because I know her experiences from previous posts. I would say that she is right shes experienced it from the inside out and gone through various levels of training as well as speaking to various levels of management.

At the end of the day, they are a megastore with flawed training. They pump our hobby with common plecs, bala sharks and other big fish to any tank with water in.

I've often wondered if its worth while writing off to them as a concerned customer but I am about 80% certain it would do no good what so ever.

I gave this piece of advice to a new member the other day and when I was explaining it I had pets at home in mind as thats where they got their tank from and it sums up a small number of the problems with pets at home.

"Now in a very cynical look at the fish keeping trade I would say that the reason they sell these magic potions is to give a placebo effect to new fishkeepers that they have cycled a tank ready for fish safe to go in and then the fish are added and then the actual cycle that happens in all water starts and the fish die, then that process continues for the next 2 months (the actual length of a cycle) until the tank stables out at last all the original fish are dead and they have sold you 3 or 4 lots of fish of which some will survive the cycle but then some of them will be sick or have a parasite as a result of the levels of toxic chemicals that occur during the cycling process and again they make money from you buying medicine etc."

At the end of the day they are not a responsible retailer and their name will be forever slandered all over the internet. Its not the first or last thread about pets at home and that itself must prove that there are issues.

It does seem I have "hit gold" wityh finding Aquajardin during the six week research phase of the hobby that began in March...

I regularly visited three other fish stores at least once a week during the research phase, with Aquajardin's fish and staff knowledge standing out a mile. They have been great in fine-tuning my stocking plans and the order in which to buy them, while happily price-matching an online deal for the Eheim 2078.

I found the fish at Southampton's P@H to be "average" of the stores I visited, mainly sticking to "bread and butter" species. The staff were keen to help, but often lacked the in-depth knowledge, however I appreciate that they have all sorts of pets and related equipment.

People keep on blowing on about how P@H are a franchise and so some are amazing. I worked for them for several months and frankly, the whole thing is run from the top. Every store has the same policies, procedures, training, etc. Sure, some are run by particularly shoddy managers and some have poor staff but you get that with any shop or any service in the world. My bone with P@H is the awful training, the arrogance the area/district management exhibits, the lack of information on the various species that exist (most people I worked with thought that knowing that you shouldn't keep a red-tailed and rainbow shark together made them experts) . . . I have so many horror stories from working there and I had to compromise my morals so many times on instruction from the area managers and other higher authorities in the company that I had to leave.

And that's before I get annoyed at the number of dead fish in tanks and gobby sales staff.

Frankly, if a P@H store is truly amazing it will be breaking every rule in the P@H handbook. Most seem OK because people don't stick around long enough to find out the nasties.

I would "rise above them" and stop harping on about P@H but when animals are dying daily as a result of their profit-mongering, I find it hard to keep calm.

It's hard to be told that you need to sell goldfish into 10 litre tanks "or else" and that a totally un-cycled tank with a ton of new fish requires no additional water changes and that if you advise customers to do even tri-weekly water changes on a tank with ammonia problems you are stepping right out of line. I've had disciplinary proceedures brought against me for fabricated complaints that clearly never happened and yet they didn't mind that I had to essentially spell suffering and death for dozens of fish a week because store and company policy required me to sell fish into pretty dire situations. Sure, they tick all the right boxes and tell you to bring your water in for testing and don't let you make massive, obvious mistakes but I know what the supplier is like and the fact that if you refuse to sell fish out of a bay that had a sick or dead fish in (as the company says you should), you'd effectively have to close the entire aquatics section. Every shipment had dozens of sick and dying fish, every tank had sickly fish, every day dozens would die from the main bays or isolation tanks (which doubled as disease treatment and new-fish quarentine tanks). Only one treatment was permitted at my store and it seems this happens all over. A super-strength whitespot treatment was used as a cure all for everything. No fish recieved decent remedial care even when something as simple as some different food or a salt bath could cure them. Hell, I rescued some newts from there who were literally being abused. Not just "not treated very well". They were living in water that has at least 2ppm of ammonia and nitrites, they had missing limbs from being put into water that was 7-10 degrees C too warm and they had been bought into the store on a whim. This is NOT an insolated incident.

Yes, I know a lot of my bugs where with what happened at my store but from the reaction I got from upper management when I complained, this stuff happens up and down the country, even in the very best stores. I was literally told to shut up and stop moaning or leave and take my "new fangled" opinions elsewhere. I don't know how many times I heard "there are many different opinions in fishkeeping", even when I was providing scientific evidence for why I was right and all they could do was say "our experts have made our policies and they are correct". Even the training literature had a "learn this and forget everything else and please keep your opinions at home" clause.

Obviously some stores will be good, especially if the manager has the balls to ignore some of the training stuff and policies. Plus every so often you find a real fishkeeper working there who knows about all the fish (or will help you research if they don't know), who can talk to you about plants with competence, can help you set up a variety of different systems and take you step by step through any kind of cycle you want to try, who knows about the various temperature, pH and hardness needs of many species (beyond "soft water", "hard water", "tropical" and "coldwater") and generally knows their shizz. Didn't have one of those working at my store. I was the baby there and yet still knew more on fishkeeping than everyone else, possibly put together.

So, I hate P@H. I only shop there in an emergency. Pity, really, as I made some friends there and it's the closest pet shop to me.

Interesting read, sounds pretty ridiculous it doesn't surprise me though, not because its pets at home just stuff like this happening. :no:

Exactly, Wills. I know these threads get tiresome for older members or those who feel they have a decent P@H near them. However, these threads are symptomatic of a wider concern that simply isn't going to go away until P@H close down or have a truly massive re-think and re-vamp. When good stores are the exeption rather than the rule, there is something to be worried about. P@H literally kills animals with their lay-men's advice and training that is designed to brainwash rather than engender curiosity and develop true skills.

And I don't even get why people think the company CS is any good. I once e-mailed in a complaint and all they did was re-iterate their propaganda and then tell me they felt they had dealt with my issue and would not be replying anymore. The second time I complained (about something different) they totally ignored me.

And the stuff I'm talking about here is the stuff I feel I can get away with talking about. Tip of the iceberg, so to speak.

would love to hear the rest of the iceberg tbh :good:

Assaye, I really considered applying for a job at P@H but Im glad to have read your experiences with working with them. Every time I go in to the ones in Chester all they seem to do is annoy me. And not just with the fish, the reptile knowledge is shocking too. Today, I went to one in Brombrough and one in Northwich and they were both as bad as each other. Severely overstocked, dead fish, the usual, but what really got me is the fact that we stumbled upon another fish place around the corner from the one in Northwich, which was amazing. From the outside it looked a bit suspect but when we went through to the tanks at the back I was pleasantly surprised. The water was the clearest I have ever seen and the selection was much better than the usual mollys, guppys etc. So for a little business, with no way near the money to spend on the welfare and sourcing of the fish that P@H do, to be better than a big business such as them, is a bit odd!!

I'm on the fence with P@H; I brought tetras from there with no issues,then brought a few other fish for a friend on request, upon arriving at my mate's and a closer inspection,every1 of his fish (15 in total) had a form of fungus. P@H refunded the same day.

Personal choice, wouldn't buy from P@H, when it comes to livestock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back