Peacock Gudgeons

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I have a trio of these in my 36 gallon community and they have breed a couple of times but the male eats them when they hatch. Next time I am gonna try to seperate the eggs to avoid this. Yours are so much prettier than mine! I can't wait till mine mature more.

My male jumps out of his man cave as the fry start to hatch. Sometimes he does eat the eggs, but it's not like I want to be overrun with fry anyway.

But I'm sure yours are beautiful in their own way.
yes.gif
You should post pics!

Hmm alright. Are they hardy? And do they breed easily? Are they parents like cichlids?
Sorry for all the questions haha. Thinking about getting one/some.

Are they hardy:
-I haven't had them in a situation where their hardiness would be tested. Though I can say they're a notch above the least hardiest species of fish, probably not as hardy as my gourami.

Do they breed easily:
-Yes.
whistling.gif
  Just fatten the girl up with a weeks worth of worms and give the boy a tube/cave/small space and they'll mate. Though the hard part is raising the fry.

Are they parents like cichlids:
-I have no idea on those fish. For these though, they'll breed and the female will leave the tube for the rest of the time. My male is hardly aggressive at all about his mancave. But he'll stay with the fry for about a week until the fry start hatching. Then he'll leave the mancave. I havent seen him eat any of the fry, but any other fish would including the mother. He very much appreciates being fed during the week though, because he can become extremely fatigued after that week.

No, cichlids will nurture their fry, and defend them from the other tankmates. Once the gudgeon fry have hatched, they're own their own to fend for themselves. As mentioned previously, some males will eat the fry, some won't.

I almost wish he would since the fry take a long time to grow, but I feel bad he has to spend an entire week in a cave already.
sad.png

Most reactions

trending

Back