pea puffer tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ember04

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
What does everyone think about a single pea puffer in a 7 gallon planted tank?

do you think it would work?

thanks

Hello :)
If you're talking about (Carino)Tetraodon travancoricus, not a single PP or it will turn stressed-out ! It needs to be 4 in your tank.

I'm talking about C. travancoricus species I know there's a few, I thought that you cant keep more than one unless you have ten gallons at least that's what most of my research says. I've found multiple sources that say a pair in a 10 or a single in a 5 gallon.

1632777934131.png

This one

I'm talking about C. travancoricus species I know there's a few, I thought that you cant keep more than one unless you have ten gallons at least that's what most of my research says. I've found multiple sources that say a pair in a 10 or a single in a 5 gallon.
It is a gregarious fish. Alone it will let itself waste away. You could read this article :

hmm. I would be nevouse to put more than one in as most places say that even though they do better in groups, those groups need larger tanks and to keep them in too small of a tank could lead to fighting and death in some cases.

I've talked to a couple people that have success with just one. Not saying it's right or wrong, but I know Seriously Fish, which seems to be one of the go-to's around here, says you can do one in a smaller tank or a group in a heavily planted/scaped larger tank.

There's some here that do or have kept them that could better speak on their care. @Circus comes to mind.

*EDIT: I think @realzalio keeps them too.

What are the dimensions of the tank? It is more about space than gallon capacity

PP aren't designed to live alone. Why not choose another fish that truly lives alone or by pair ?

I know Seriously Fish, which seems to be one of the go-to's around here, says you can do one in a smaller tank
No, Seriously Fish says "could" that is different ;)

I don't know which is right - but @Avel1896 seems to link Seriously Fish for just about everything not the Pea Puffer. But I agree 4 should be ok if the dimensions of the 10 gallon are long enough in case they need personal space in addition to company to not feel stressed.

I've talked to a couple people that have success with just one. Not saying it's right or wrong, but I know Seriously Fish, which seems to be one of the go-to's around here, says you can do one in a smaller tank or a group in a heavily planted/scaped larger tank.

There's some here that do or have kept them that could better speak on their care. @Circus comes to mind.

*EDIT: I think @realzalio keeps them too.
i don't, but i know enough about them to recognize that their main strategy of survival in the wild is shoaling - you can't deny them that in captivity and expect them to be happy

i don't, but i know enough about them to recognize that their main strategy of survival in the wild is shoaling - you can't deny them that in captivity and expect them to be happy
You tricked me with your profile pic!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back