Pc Virus Warning...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I'm bored of the mac vs pc rubbish. They both have their own strengths and weaknesses. They can both get viruses. They both have different GUIs that people respond to differently. But the other annoying thing is a third option always gets forgotten. Linux.

Linux is only really comparable if you're using a slower machine, and for that it is unbeatable.

Pound for Pound the PC beats the Mac hands down everytime...
That is precisely the kind of argument I'm fed up with.

Linux is the best option for older, slower machines. It's the best option if you want a bootable cd to take your OS everywhere with you, it's the best OS if you want to hack and change the way the os works, and customise everything. It's not just for slower machines.
Windows is brilliant if you're in an office environment. That's where it rules it's kingdom. It also wins hands down when it comes to gaming. It also allows minor modification to the system, but is still very locked down compared to Linux (or at least most Linux distros).
Macs are great if you want plug and play simplicity. You can't customise very much, it's all fairly lockeddown, but the upside to that is a very clean ui. The UI alone is enough for many users to switch over.

Whatever system you use, fair play, if you like it, then continue. Personally I use OSX, vista, windows 7, XP, gOS and ubuntu. They all have strengths, they all have weaknesses, they all work differently. Is one better than another? Before saying yes you better qualify your answer with better at doing xyz...

i don't use Mcafee so why
should i open anything from them
or down load anything from them
makes sense :blink:

Linux is the best option for older, slower machines. It's the best option if you want a bootable cd to take your OS everywhere with you, it's the best OS if you want to hack and change the way the os works, and customise everything. It's not just for slower machines.
Windows is brilliant if you're in an office environment. That's where it rules it's kingdom. It also wins hands down when it comes to gaming. It also allows minor modification to the system, but is still very locked down compared to Linux (or at least most Linux distros).
Macs are great if you want plug and play simplicity. You can't customise very much, it's all fairly lockeddown, but the upside to that is a very clean ui. The UI alone is enough for many users to switch over.

Whatever system you use, fair play, if you like it, then continue. Personally I use OSX, vista, windows 7, XP, gOS and ubuntu. They all have strengths, they all have weaknesses, they all work differently. Is one better than another? Before saying yes you better qualify your answer with better at doing xyz...

You might want to try maryan and get into E17 way of thinking. I agree everything has its strengths some linux OS's are not for newbies as you can easily cripple your system if you don't know what your doing. Windows you can for a limited stretch screw it up and mac is plug and play happiness.

On my desktop I have OSX, Windows 7, Maryan, fedora and infinity Os I swap between the 3 of them all the time depending what I need to do.

I thought i'd let you all know,my friend had a bad virus attack her pc,it came in the form of a 'Mcfee internet security' email which basically says about new downloads available...

Once the email was opened and link clicked it completely trashed her pc!!

The worse part was she has mcfee security and it let this virus in.

So beware all...

unfortunately. it was your friend that let the virus in, not Mcafee. programs can only do what you let them.
I'd suggest Avira anti virus. though, if you are competent, MS Essentials does a very good job too. and add a firewall, not the thing that comes with windows, a real one, like Comodo. if you have one, you can catch the infection, and deal with it, before it connects home.

if i am honest i would say avoid kesperski, like the plague, expensive and not up to the job. same goes for Mcafee except, because its totally useless. not just, not good.

most importantly of all, use you head when opening emails. i recently, by mistake, ran a lappy for 6 months with no AV software. and i didn't get one infection. makes you think!

The best anti-virus software out there that I have seen is TrendMicro. It's a wonderful program, works very well. it's also rather inexpensive. It's like 60 bucks for internet security, and 70 bucks for the top of the line one. i don't have a virus protection on my mac but the PC does. On average, when the PC has it's weekly scan there are around 60 viruses on there. Thats from facebook, yahoo, and google.

The best anti-virus software out there that I have seen is TrendMicro. It's a wonderful program, works very well. it's also rather inexpensive. It's like 60 bucks for internet security, and 70 bucks for the top of the line one. i don't have a virus protection on my mac but the PC does. On average, when the PC has it's weekly scan there are around 60 viruses on there. Thats from facebook, yahoo, and google.

I've heard of this. like many other "paid for" AV programs, just does not keep up with the free stuff. it has a low detection rate, when compared to Avast and even Comodo av, but a nice interface, covering the fact its hard to see, if and when, the program has been effective.

If you are getting 60 viruses a week. i should rethink how you use the net. and, as most GOOD programs should, simple free AV programs would have blocked and dealt with the infection. As and when it arrives, not on a once a week scan. but 60 viruses (if they are real) shows user error. and a very bad case too.
my wife uses MS essentials, it warns and blocks all problems from facebook. she is less than careful on the net, yet having looked at here AV log, its 4 months since a virus needed removed after a daily scan.

listen, i have nothing against you, or your AV program, but there really is no need to pay for excellent AV protection (as simple Go??le search "best Anti Virus program" will confirm) now if you use a router (wireless or not) almost any AV will suffice, to give virtually commercial protection. its a point often missed. £30-£70 on a router will give you vastly better protection, than the same amount spent on an AV program. (even if you only have one computer) even so "common sense" has its part to play. the user is, often, the weakest link on the PC.

I was just going to read this thread and laugh at everyone talking rubbish..but then i saw this and wet myself laughing.

The best anti-virus software out there that I have seen is TrendMicro

Trendmicro is beyond awful. Never touch it along with McAfee and Norton.

Kaspersky is pretty good butthe best in my opinion and experience is NOD32, it rocks.

I was just going to read this thread and laugh at everyone talking rubbish..but then i saw this and wet myself laughing.

Kaspersky is pretty good butthe best in my opinion and experience is NOD32, it rocks.

odd you should mention two of the under performing AV, setups. still good though. neither comes out well in znet, and other tests. well, they don't do as well as Avast, come to that AVG either. ( especially NOD32. Kesperski just seems to have lost its way, ATM. and they have been hacked, not a good advert for an internet security firm.)

Have you ever used Trend Micro? I don't see what is awful about it. It will find and delete viruses. It will do the same with malware ect. It warns you if a site is suspicious or if there is a risk of infection. It scans everything you plug into the computer looking for potential virus threats. It does what it was meant to do. Now Norton and McAfee suck. I have used both.

Raptorrex : I do not use the PC, but those who do use it do not go to any suspicious websites, and I have used the settings to make it so those who use it can not download anything without my password. They do not have it. So it's not like they are using limewire ect. Now that I think about it, that PC needs to be defragged. I can't remember the last time i did that, and I should probably set it so that it does it weekly. Good thing my Mac OS defraggs every night when it's on. Keeps it quick and speedy.

Raptorrex : I do not use the PC, but those who do use it do not go to any suspicious websites, and I have used the settings to make it so those who use it can not download anything without my password. They do not have it. So it's not like they are using limewire ect. Now that I think about it, that PC needs to be defragged. I can't remember the last time i did that, and I should probably set it so that it does it weekly. Good thing my Mac OS defraggs every night when it's on. Keeps it quick and speedy.

if thats the case, you are being conned by your AV. 60 viruses, per week, is not normal. i suggest you junk your AV and get one that works, and fast. you may not be able to see, "whats wrong with TrendMicro", but you clearly have a major problem, and it must be with your AV. Facebook and Messenger are, amongst, the biggest sources of viruses.
this makes interesting reading. worrying if you use the trash.

Trend Micro AV - Open to Attack Internet Security Systems has found a flaw in Trend Micro's virus-scanning software--the third time this month that the security company has picked a hole in an antivirus product.

The vulnerability affects Trend Micro's Antivirus Library, a common set of code used by at least 29 Trend Micro products, according to separate advisories posted on Trend Micro's Web site on Wednesday and on ISS' site on Thursday. An attacker could create a program that exploits the security hole, causing the antivirus program to run a virus instead of blocking the malicious program, the companies said.

"Successful exploitation of this vulnerability could be used to gain unauthorized access to networks and machines being protected by Trend Micro Antivirus Library products," ISS said in its advisory.

The flaw is similar to those found in antivirus software from Symantec and F-Secure. Because it's a library flaw, it adds up to a broad vulnerability in Trend Micro products that could be exploited to automatically run a malicious program. The flaw is caused by a memory error known as a heap overflow.

It affects not only Trend Micro applications on Windows systems, but also the company's software running on Linux, Solaris and other Unix-like operating systems.
taken from

honestly, save your money. get AVAST (free) MS Essentials(free) even NOD (if you must) all will be noticeably better than the AV(??????) you have.
as far as i can find (with the exception of cnet) the only site to give a good review, are those directly related to the publishers. always a bad sign, that!

Just to let you know, Mcafee and norton are absolutely terrible anti virus, norton itself actually IS a virus.

AVG is much better, even the free version outclasses both those anti-virus.

(edit, Also AVAST as advised above is a very good AV)

Also, running windows update, and using internet explorer are extremely likely to net you a virus. You should disable windows update, and use firefox/google chrome/Safari (though why anyone in their right mind would choose safari over firefox I dunno)

When it comes to PC help, i'm your guy, and if I can't help fix it, I know a bloke who #41#### well can.

Just to let you know, Mcafee and norton are absolutely terrible anti virus, norton itself actually IS a virus.

AVG is much better, even the free version outclasses both those anti-virus.

(edit, Also AVAST as advised above is a very good AV)

Also, running windows update, and using internet explorer are extremely likely to net you a virus. You should disable windows update, and use firefox/google chrome/Safari (though why anyone in their right mind would choose safari over firefox I dunno)

When it comes to PC help, i'm your guy, and if I can't help fix it, I know a bloke who #41#### well can.

good to know someone else who knows their way are, all aspects, of the PC, too.:good:

Yeah, we seem to be a dying breed, even amongst the new "technological culture"..

Most people my age know **** all about computers. Good with a mobile phone though, shock horror.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back