Password Protecting Files Or Folders

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fry_lover

Fred and the Fredettes
Reaction score
I have a Dell Labtop running with Vista. Is there a way I can password protect individual MS Word files or entire folders?

I don't really want to set up more than one account on the laptop, just to keep a small amount of files confidential. Is this possible when running one just one user account on the laptop?

Thanks

you can do it within the program...we were taught at school..ill see if i can remember

click onto the review tab...and on the right hand side of the tab bar it says protect document

Microsoft word

Open the file.
On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click Security.
Do one of the following:
Create a password to open

In the Password to open box, type a password, and then click OK.
In the Reenter password to open box, type the password again, and then click OK.
Create a password to modify

In the Password to modify box, type a password, and then click OK.
In the Reenter password to modify box, type the password again, and then click OK.

To create a long password— up to 255 characters— click Advanced, and then select an RC4 encryption type.

Seffie x

Hi,
I don't have idea about the other files but for locking the folder follow the below steps.
Consider you want to lock a folder named XXXX in your E:\, whose path is E:\XXXX.
Now open the Notepad and type the following
ren xxxx xxxx.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}
Where xxxx is your folder name. Save the text file as loc.bat in the same drive.
Open another new notepad text file and type the following
ren xxxx.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D} xxxx
Save the text file as key.bat in the same drive.
Steps to lock the folder:
To lock the xxxx folder, simply click the loc.bat and it will transform into control panel icon which is inaccessible.
To unlock the folder click the key.bat file. Thus the folder will be unlocked and the contents are accessible

You could use a zip program 7zip etc. to pass protect your files. Might want to check how strong ms protection is if important!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back