Oxygenating Crystals

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

MermaidMel

Official Forum Weirdo Detective
Reaction score
Do they work or just another gimmick?

Whether they work or not, the real crux of the question should be more directed toward "if they are so much better, how did people keep fish before these were available?"

People have kept fish successfully for a long, long time without any so-called oxygen crystals, so they clearly aren't needed, so they are ultimately a waste of money.

On a more scientific side, unless you have very still water (no filter with no plants or the return was very deep in the tank), with a very high stocking, the gas exchange rate is high enough. Water very quickly becomes saturated with dissolved gases. Everyone's water is very near 100% saturation the vast majority of the time. There are a few situations where something extra may be needed: turning the temperature up and using a medication that works by oxidizing (which consumed oxygen from the water) may require additional measures -- but in almost every case just lowering the water level to increase splashing from the filter return is sufficient.

So, in summary, even if they do work (which I don't know one way or the other), they certainly aren't needed, so don't waste your money.

Good point. I keep a few bettas and they don't like fast flowing water, so I was wondering if it would benefit them in any way.

Good point. I keep a few bettas and they don't like fast flowing water, so I was wondering if it would benefit them in any way.

I am extremely new to bettas but are they not surface air breaters therefore don't require oxygen actually in the water? Hence being able to live in a cup for long periods

I am extremely new to bettas but are they not surface air breaters therefore don't require oxygen actually in the water? Hence being able to live in a cup for long periods

I read somewhere that the crystals keep the water cleaner by locking in ammonia or something

Are these like those oxygen tablets I see all the time we're talking about here?

Or are they different?

They are like balls of gel and you use them like substrate... i think

I read somewhere that the crystals keep the water cleaner by locking in ammonia or something

If you can find that statement and either copy it (and the context it is in) or link to it, I can comment on it. But, the statement as you have it there "I read somewhere that the crystals keep the water cleaner by locking in ammonia or something" is essentially meaningless in the context of the rest of this post. Given that they are "oxygen crystals" what does that have to do with ammonia? Are they claiming that these crystals perform the same function as the ammonia oxidizing bacteria (which needs oxygen to do their thing)? If they are, they need to provide some proof. Extraordinary claims like this require extraordinary proof.

MM, this is sounding more and more like it is just flat out a scam. They probably don't hurt anything in the tank, but it is seeming more and more likely that they just don't do anything, period.

If you can find that statement and either copy it (and the context it is in) or link to it, I can comment on it. But, the statement as you have it there "I read somewhere that the crystals keep the water cleaner by locking in ammonia or something" is essentially meaningless in the context of the rest of this post. Given that they are "oxygen crystals" what does that have to do with ammonia? Are they claiming that these crystals perform the same function as the ammonia oxidizing bacteria (which needs oxygen to do their thing)? If they are, they need to provide some proof. Extraordinary claims like this require extraordinary proof.

MM, this is sounding more and more like it is just flat out a scam. They probably don't hurt anything in the tank, but it is seeming more and more likely that they just don't do anything, period.

'We use these crystals for the tranportation of all our live fish to our customers they have the ability to lock in ammonias and also absorb dirt floating in the water, they slowly release oxygen into the water allowing a constant supply to your fish, these are primarily used for coldwater tanks due to the high waste produced by these fish but they have so may other uses, very attractive when placed in the base of a tank.

These will last up to 6 months before they need to be changed.'

Is that it, MM? No other statements? No way to corroborate or back up that statement like with a reference to some real research?

Just because it says they have the ability, doesn't make it so. I want to know how they "lock in ammonias {sic)" -- and what is with the "s" on the end of ammonia? I want to know the mechanism by which what they say is possible -- what are these crystals made of? I mean, zeolite can adsorb ammonia, but zeolite doesn't give off oxygen.

I am becoming more and more convinced that these things are just simply a scam. They might as well say that they prevent cancer in fish, too -- there is the same amount of proof to back up that statement as their oxygenation and locking up ammonia statements.

Is that it, MM? No other statements? No way to corroborate or back up that statement like with a reference to some real research?

Just because it says they have the ability, doesn't make it so. I want to know how they "lock in ammonias {sic)" -- and what is with the "s" on the end of ammonia? I want to know the mechanism by which what they say is possible -- what are these crystals made of? I mean, zeolite can adsorb ammonia, but zeolite doesn't give off oxygen.

I am becoming more and more convinced that these things are just simply a scam. They might as well say that they prevent cancer in fish, too -- there is the same amount of proof to back up that statement as their oxygenation and locking up ammonia statements.

That's all the info I have, it came from a website, there isn't even a pic of the box/manufacturer so it's safe to say they are probably just balls of gel that look nice and do naff all :good:

That's all the info I have, it came from a website, there isn't even a pic of the box/manufacturer so it's safe to say they are probably just balls of gel that look nice and do naff all :good:
you have me intrigued now, can you remember the website i wanna do some investigation :)

Bignose i think these are what MM found

Mini Oxygen Crystal Balls search for Mini Oxygen Crystal Balls about half way down the page.

I'm still investigating these as there is very limited in info.....

Just sound like they are a filter media that looks pretty, very porous allowing bacteria to grow in/on them to aid the nitrogen cycle.

i think the ones mels talking about are the ones modaz is selling on ebay dpfishways

Mini Oxygen Crystal Balls search for Mini Oxygen Crystal Balls about half way down the page.

Just sound like they are a filter media that looks pretty, very porous allowing bacteria to grow in/on them to aid the nitrogen cycle.

yes thats the ones :good:

i think the ones mels talking about are the ones modaz is selling on ebay dpfishways

yes thats the ones :good:

I was trying to protect him by not mentioning his name

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back