Oxygen Emergency?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PrairieSunflower

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Never had one of these emergencies before in my few years of fish keeping.

Earlier today I posted about an oil slick in discussions.  But I resolved that and it is gone.  I guess maybe I must have had something on my hands yesterday and not realized it.  I usually don't use anything on my skin on water change days, I must have forgotten... can't figure out what else caused the oil slick.

BUT... I decided to look at my fish just before bed (tank lights had been off already for 2 hours.  When I couldn't find my betta I lifted the lid and found him behind my filter at the surface, and my 4 shrimp along with him and my snail on the other side of the tank at the surface.

SO... I had a major panic and tested the water, twice, shook my samples like crazy and they were absolutely perfect.  I have done a 90% water change any way just in case something is in the water.

I've also pulled out my horribly noisy pump and added an air stone.  The shrimp all came down once they had the new water, before the air stone was even added.  My snail has gone back to his business and my betta is swimming around like normal.

What happened?  I've never had an oxygen problem before... is that what this was?  I'm leaving the air stone on overnight just in case.  My water temperature is 80 and that is the normal temperature... in this hot weather my heater light hasn't been going on often at all and the temperature has not been going above.

Is the crisis over?  Not sure what happened.

Was there a problem with the filter such as a power cut or anything like that?
Hopefully if everything was ok when you tested it and they are all back to normal activity you have probably sorted whatever it was.

Not far as I know and certainly not this evening as I was home watching Netflix.  I was out in the afternoon and we had a thunder storm but no clocks were flashing so I assume the power was fine.

Thanks.  It must be related to the oil slick.  But would it have still cut oxygen after the oil appeared gone?

Anyhow, I have left the air stone running over night and I think I will leave it on for now.  My betta and my shrimp are doing their normal activities and my snail has hidden as usual so I assume is also fine.

PrairieSunflower said:
Thanks.  It must be related to the oil slick.  But would it have still cut oxygen after the oil appeared gone?

Anyhow, I have left the air stone running over night and I think I will leave it on for now.  My betta and my shrimp are doing their normal activities and my snail has hidden as usual so I assume is also fine.
I have never removed the slick in my current set up and have never noticed my fish gasping for air, my corys occasionally go to the surface for air but they do that for the fun of it.

It was quite significant, I'd think.  If you stuck your finger in and took it out you could feel the residue.... so I assume that is pretty bad.  It hasn't happened before.

Sounds like you got it under control. Certainly monitor the activity a little more the next few days until you are sure it has passed. I've had heater failure and all kinds of weird things before. Your fish will let you know if something is wrong.

I'm thinking I'll just leave the air stone for a few days and then turn it off on a day when I will be around to make sure nothing happens.

It can be useful to have an air stone on all the time, even just on low. As well as putting oxygen in the water it helps to prevent a build up of any oils as the surface is never still.

The tank is all back to normal now.

I will think about adding an air stone permanently.  My current pump is really basic and too loud, can't be enjoyable to the fish and isn't to me.  I'd need to look into something better.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back