Outdoor fish container

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Just one more thought on outdoor containers before I forget. Plants grow great outdoors in the summer. Water lettuce and Salvinia make great floaters. In that outdoor container put in fish that have tiny fry that are hard to feed. The plants will encourage natural infusoria microorganisms and the fry will be great. I did Bettas like that once and had the best crop of young ever. You won't even have to do anything special. Just being outside seems to make the fish and plants go ape.

So I just bought the 20g pond liner that Olive suggested from lowes.

Now im wondering if i need to put sand on the bottom? Will this benefit the fish?
Speaking of fish, any suggestion on what to put in?

Also, how would i cycle this?

I have 2 42g Barrels cut in half. Put pond liner in it, and it’s a patio pond! Not the cleanest currently. I get some other cool animals too!
3DB1319B-5FA8-4F5B-B5D3-DA059086E636.jpeg
86C6B5B0-83AD-44AA-BC49-1A38DF58F382.jpeg

I suggest putting sand on the bottom. My pea pebbles just attract algae. I suggest getting something like Rosy Barbs, however, I almost never see mine. I also suggest Flagfish, as they are great algae eaters. Platys and Mosquitofish are also good options.

Edit: I also suggest looking for Xiphophorus on AquaBid.com

I suggest putting sand on the bottom. My pea pebbles just attract algae. I suggest getting something like Rosy Barbs, however, I almost never see mine. I also suggest Flagfish, as they are great algae eaters. Platys and Mosquitofish are also good options.

Edit: I also suggest looking for Xiphophorus on AquaBid.com
Ok. I had some leftover quikrete play sand so i added that. I just looked up the flagfish. They look really cool! How many do you think i could have in that mini pond? Did some research on mosquitofish and it seems that they will overrun a pond? do you think that i would have trouble having them in a 20g?

Ok. I had some leftover quikrete play sand so i added that. I just looked up the flagfish. They look really cool! How many do you think i could have in that mini pond? Did some research on mosquitofish and it seems that they will overrun a pond? do you think that i would have trouble having them in a 20g?
I have 5 Flagfish. They are really cool in person. Native to America, and a species of Pupfish! Mosquitofish would probably overrun your pond. Xiphophorus breed very easily. Most small pond fish will overrun your pond with babies…maybe ask an LFS if they would take babies for in-store credit?

I have 5 Flagfish. They are really cool in person. Native to America, and a species of Pupfish! Mosquitofish would probably overrun your pond. Xiphophorus breed very easily. Most small pond fish will overrun your pond with babies…maybe ask an LFS if they would take babies for in-store credit?
I'll ask around at my LFS's. Sometimes i wish i lived in california. they give away free mosquito fish!

Just suggest something more colorful though. I have X. Variatus. They are much prettier in person. They are a pair. I simply get rid of their babies by putting a dozen or so in my Bichir tank for food.
2DD46D73-8407-430E-9A38-62E50568BE22.jpeg

Just suggest something more colorful though. I have X. Variatus. They are much prettier in person. They are a pair. I simply get rid of their babies by putting a dozen or so in my Bichir tank for food.View attachment 159291
Those are cool as well! How often do you get a batch of fry?

So I reached out to my local mosquito control headquarters and they give fathead minnows, not mosquitofish.

It is my understanding that this will be too large, am I correct?
Has anyone kept these before?

For many years I had a stock tank with goldfish and lettuce. Every few years it would freeze solid all the way to the bottom and kill the fish. And of course I had to replace the plants every year because I didn't want to keep them indoors all winter. I had a combination filter/fountain to aerate and clean.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back