Other hobbies

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Speaking of the famous taking risks - Jimmy Doolittle was a family friend, I got to spend the day with him once when I was a pre-teen. Sadly, he didn't want to talk about the war, but rather his African safaris - still one of my fond childhood memories, faded as it is.
I'm as guilty of this as anyone. Thinking of famous people as one trick ponies. Everybody has done at least one thing noteworthy , some of us have done something extraordinarily noteworthy like Jimmy Doolittle but we are all so much more than that one thing.

Definitely agree...

I would hope you have more than just a boat and music for survival supplies when a meteor lands and were the only ones 🤣
I am working on building a rocket ship to travel to another world for “When Worlds Collide”

I am working on building a rocket ship for “When Worlds Collide”
What about space suits and a mapping GPS system for the rocket as well as weapons cause who knows what is out there...
I'm staying with @GaryE on earth if we don't have everything we need 🤣

@Fishmanic Let the superlatives flow in abundance. That trailer is both colossal and stupendous ! Would you believe I've never seen that movie ? Guess what I'm watching tonight ? One small nit to pick. They plagiarized Fireball XL-5. That track their rocket is going to launch on looks like it came right out of Space City. But , no matter.
"WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE "
As great as it is cool . Or so I'm hoping.

One day I'll be puttering around in the fishroom, totally absorbed in some weird project. That's when the asteroid will hit, and when I step out to go eat, I'll be standing on a moonscape holding a 3 inch fishnet. That's how it'll be.

I'll be the dinosaur who survives. That's when all our hobbies will become important - mark my words.

One day I'll be puttering around in the fishroom, totally absorbed in some weird project. That's when the asteroid will hit, and when I step out to go eat, I'll be standing on a moonscape holding a 3 inch fishnet. That's how it'll be.

I'll be the dinosaur who survives. That's when all our hobbies will become important - mark my words.
Reminds me of the movie The Book Thief... Sad story.

All this talk about the asteroid hitting the earth...I live just a couple mountains over from the Yellowstone Caldera. If it ever blows, I hope I'm outside to see it. That would be a pretty amazing sight to take into Eternity. 🌋 💥 :lol:

As for hobbies: Besides fish keeping, my time tends to be spent in attempting to kill animals (preferably with a fly rod or with primitive archery gear that I build myself), cooking and eating them (venison is delicious and healthy!), playing Irish and Scottish trad music, trail running, reading, Bible study (is that a hobby?), building assorted things, having good conversations with friends, and reading (preferably history, historical fiction, and stuff about plants/animals/ecosystems).

I'm also really good at breaking things, then figuring out how to get them working again. And lying around. I dabble in martial arts, but my heart isn't really in it because I have a black belt in running away. Sometimes, you just have to play to your strengths.

All this talk about the asteroid hitting the earth...I live just a couple mountains over from the Yellowstone Caldera. If it ever blows, I hope I'm outside to see it. That would be a pretty amazing sight to take into Eternity. 🌋 💥 :lol:

As for hobbies: Besides fish keeping, my time tends to be spent in attempting to kill animals (preferably with a fly rod or with primitive archery gear that I build myself), cooking and eating them (venison is delicious and healthy!), playing Irish and Scottish trad music, trail running, reading, Bible study (is that a hobby?), building assorted things, having good conversations with friends, and reading (preferably history, historical fiction, and stuff about plants/animals/ecosystems).

I'm also really good at breaking things, then figuring out how to get them working again. And lying around. I dabble in martial arts, but my heart isn't really in it because I have a black belt in running away. Sometimes, you just have to play to your strengths.
I would not mind spending a day with you 😅...
You seem cool

I have a virtually unworn pair of Nike Doernbecher Freestyle 2008....I believe they might be quite rare

In the phoro contained in this link, the ones I have are bottom row on the far left, designed by Brandi Berger who was 15 at the time.

What model?

What model?
Air Force 1

The soles are clear so that a design can be seen underneath. They still have the original laces too. I bought them a long time ago from a charity shop. They have barely been worn and they hurt alot when I put them on (feels like a metal ridge around the back of the heel that digs into my foot which I have since discovered is a normal thing for Nike). They are in the shed somewhere.

I've never been one to really care about shoes. Shoot, I was wearing ankle high slippers when I went grocery shopping today. ;)

This thread brought back to memory an old hobby. I used to build model planes. Actually also cars. But what comes to mind wasn't a plastic model. I built a balsa wood sail plane with a wing span of seven feet. I only got to fly it once before my little sister got hold and turned it into kindling. The one time it flew it stayed in the air for about half an hour.

I also did plastic but on a large scale. Did a jag once that was about 2 feet long. Window cranks and steering actually worked. Did an aircraft carrier that would actually launch planes that was also about 2 feet in length. Also did a submarine that used cams to control what it did. The sub was around 18 inches.

Still sort of do models but they are now radio controlled. I have an electric truck that is 1/10 scale that will do a real speed of about 35 MPH and an 18 inch boat that will do a real speed of about 25 MPH. I tried doing a drone but can't. Being blind in one eye I don't have true depth perception and can't really judge where an air object is. Ground and/or water stuff is fine as I have a reference in relation to other stuff. I've beaten just about all the lack of true depth perception issues but just can't get a grip on open air as there are no reference points.

As to the depth perception thingy it is really amazing what the mind can do to adjust! I DO have depth perception but it is different than what a person with two eyes experiences. I have what I term as relative depth perception. Take my playing softball years ago. My mind knew the size of a softball so could judge the distance due to the apparent size of the ball. Of course there was no concious effort in this. It was just something that my mind did to adjust. Two years after losing the sight in my right eye I was awarded an MVP trophy in a softball tournament playing outfield. If playing outfield isn't depth perception tell what is.

I would not mind spending a day with you 😅...
You seem cool
Thanks! I'm not sure "cool" is the right word. The expression "a bit odd" seems to come up occasionally among my friends. :lol:

I've never been one to really care about shoes. Shoot, I was wearing ankle high slippers when I went grocery shopping today. ;)

This thread brought back to memory an old hobby. I used to build model planes. Actually also cars. But what comes to mind wasn't a plastic model. I built a balsa wood sail plane with a wing span of seven feet. I only got to fly it once before my little sister got hold and turned it into kindling. The one time it flew it stayed in the air for about half an hour.

I also did plastic but on a large scale. Did a jag once that was about 2 feet long. Window cranks and steering actually worked. Did an aircraft carrier that would actually launch planes that was also about 2 feet in length. Also did a submarine that used cams to control what it did. The sub was around 18 inches.
Very, very cool. I was seriously into model planes when I was in high school/college a few years ago. Just static plastic models; always wanted to try RC but never had the money or space. I used to do dioramas--I did a really cool one of a 1:48 TBD Devastator crashed on a Pacific Island (which is where the lucky ones ended up), stuff like that, and the roof of my room always had a dogfight going on.

I quit doing all that sort of thing around 30 years ago, but last winter I built a 1:48 A-10 to hang in my garage workshop. Did it in 80s Cold War colors, and hung it up to look like it's diving in on a tank column. Felt like a homecoming of sorts.
pp,840x830-pad,1000x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back