Oscar

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

george4

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ive just purchased a large oscar 20 cm. i have 2 tanks a 190 litre and 400 litre but i have put it in my 190 litre due to the fact that it could easily eat my showl of small torpedo barb. he is with 3 medium angel fish and 3 clown loach . up til now there are no problems and he seems peaceful and quite but will this last as i read different opinions about oscars... i just wanted to risk it as he looks sooooo nice . thanks

Simple sentence that you need to remember about oscars, anything that is the size of their mouth, will end up in their mouth.....

They arn't usually that aggressive, just big, dumb, and loveable fish who try to eat everything they can, kind of like a puppy

A fair word of warning, going to need atleast a 70G tank when full grown if he is by himeself, at least 90G with tankmates and if you plan on getting another, at least 150 to 180G to spread the aggression. They arn't the smallest fish in the world, but seem to have some of the best personalities

In such sqaushed quarters I would think he'll eventually end up killing the angel's.
Ox has covered the rest :nod:

thank you am aware he needs more space and will shortly be moving him into my 400 litre . what do you guys feed your oscars. the flakes and pellets i give him, he seems to eat but then spit out again in bits . any better feeding suggestions?

Food sounds fine, thats just how certain fish eat :) once moved up to the 400l, he should be able to stay there for life.

thank you am aware he needs more space and will shortly be moving him into my 400 litre . what do you guys feed your oscars. the flakes and pellets i give him, he seems to eat but then spit out again in bits . any better feeding suggestions?
Pellets are fine, but imo flakes are a waste on large cichlids, they eat too many :lol: .

Something I didn't mention, they are messy eaters too.... but for all their "quirks" they are really good fish

Food Mix:

Cichlid Pellets
Krill
Peas and other veggies are great for digestion and keeping the digestive tract "flowing" if you know what I mean

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back