Oscar Looking For A New Home

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

thanks,

i don't mind delivering him within reason, i'd maybe want some petrol money if it's a little way away but i think that's reasonable as i'm not asking any money for him at all.

but 6/7hrs to aberdeen is a bit too far tbh!!

could try putting an ad up in your local fish shop hoping a cichlid enthusiast will see it.
Unfortunatley I think you might have a hard time trying to rehome a fully grown Oscar. I hate when I go into my LFS and see them in the top tanks from people not knowing they are buying tank monsters. Makes me want to setup an Oscar sanctuary

could try putting an ad up in your local fish shop hoping a cichlid enthusiast will see it.
Unfortunatley I think you might have a hard time trying to rehome a fully grown Oscar. I hate when I go into my LFS and see them in the top tanks from people not knowing they are buying tank monsters. Makes me want to setup an Oscar sanctuary

I know

if I can't find a suitable home for him I'll keep him myself, he's my responsibility and I will not see him palmed off on someone who doesn't know what they're doing or stuck in the top tanks of an lfs, however well meaning the lfs is they can't realistically house these oscars for long and I wouldn't want to put him through the stress.

Just thought I'd try here first as I know you lot and I'd love to see him go to a home I know with responsible keepers although obviously this may not be possible and I'll have to reconsider my options from there if I can't find him a home.

shame as i would love to take him from you but my tanks fuuulll........wish my wife would leave me to buy more tanks but unfortuatly her passions not like mine.....dont get me wrong she loves my oscars oscar n gandulf but :unsure:

fingers crossed you get someone to house him for you....i know my local aquarium would....bournemouth oceanarium......

let us know how it goes....what are you doing with the tank?cos my sister could be intrested

mmmm there's a sort of public aquarium (it's like a mini version of the eden project) near me that has a fishy bit, who would take him. but i've seen the tank he'd be in and the other oscars in there, and i just couldn't do it to him!

i'd be keeping the tank, just making it into something easier to maintain, cos he's such a big waste producer it's taking more maintenance than I have time for, either make it into a nice understocked community tank or put a few oddballs in there

How big is he and what is the min tank you'd have him in?

he's about 10" at the moment, needs a 75g 4'x2'x2' min, would advise bigger if possible, he's a grumpy fella and if you want to have companions with him you need as much room as possible really

Isn't a 75g - 48x20x18 or something? 48x24x24 being 120g? Sorry not much help on the post.

sorry yeah, me being a div and getting my sizes muddled up.

minimum size in terms of gallonage is 75g

needs at least 4 times his length so the tank's gotta be 4'... then however deep and wide it needs to be to get 75gals! :rolleyes:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back