Ordering Fish Online

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ARXC08

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Thinking about ordering some fish online but I'm worried that it won't turn out good. Has anyone had good or bad experiences with ordering fish online?

I've done it four times over the last couple years and have had a survival rate at seven days of about 90%. This would be higher but I think my one shipment got too cold and I lost about half of the order.

Carl

Depends on the weather really - in the UK this time of year, I wouldn't.
But 've had mail order fish before and the service in itself is very good.

Hi ARXC08 :)

I'm glad you started this thread because seeing it reminded me to check on an auction I have been following. I went back to bid and got in on the last few minutes left. :thumbs: As soon as I finish posting here, I'll go back to see if I won it.

I collect corys, and while there are many different species of them, there are few kinds usually available at the lfs. A substantial portion of my collection were bought at auction online. Only once did I buy from a website lfs and that time I was very disappointed.

The rest of the time I've done very well indeed. I use AquaBid and the new site AniBid:

http://www.AquaBid.com/

http://www.anibid.com/index.php

Actually, since most of the fish I buy are wild caught specimens, I've had a better success rate than with similar fish bought locally. The reason for this is that the sellers online have a reputation to protect and will quarantine their fish until they have recovered from the process of being caught and passing through the hands of several middlemen, then being shipped around the world. At the lfs, they don't have that kind of facility and most often put them on sale right away.

:D

I have ordered from both online stores (such as Drs Foster and Smith and That Pet Place) and from auctions (Aquabid.com). I have had good experiences from both places but prefer to buy from auctions. A lot of sites overcharge on shipping. I mean massively overcharge. I paid 25 dollars for shipping at an online store and paid 10 bucks shipping from an auction and they were both the same distance and about the same number of fish. Most online stores force you to pay for expensive overnight shipping when you can easily get next day or two day service for a lot less sometimes. Priority Mail generally is fast enough for most shipments and is a lot cheaper.

As long as the weather is good ordering online works out well most of the time. Heat packs can work in most cold weather (unless it gets really cold). I had one shipment get too cold but most people (and stores) will guarantee live delivery (you just have to pay for reshipping).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back