Ordering A Tank

dthoffsett

I'm a girl . . . yup, definitely a girl. =)
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Joined
Sep 12, 2005
Messages
4,730
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Cheyenne, WY
Does anyone know of a US company that will ship a glass tank?

I checked with glasscages.com who said they won't ship glass tanks as they'll break (even though their site says they will :rolleyes: ), they offered to ship me acrylic (for almost twice as much). I'm trying to avoid acrylic as I'm going to have sand in the tank (mbuna species tank) and don't want it to get all scratched up. I've tried to look locally, but unfortunately I'm in such a small city that my only choice are Petco and Walmart, neither of which stock 40gal tanks or will order them for me. :angry:

I could drive to Denver, CO but I don't think the tank and stand would fit in my car and I don't have access to a truck.

I can order a 55gal online from Petco, but would really rather have a 40.

Ok, enough rambling for a simple question, just a little irritated. So, does anyone have any suggestions, surely there has to be more than one tank manufacturer in the US that will ship.
 
Unfortunately I have yet to find one. I got my 80g by a relative who was driving out here and had some room in their car.
 
Let me ask my buddy that owns a LFS. He gets tanks shipped in all the time, and maybe his carrier will have service to your neck of the woods.
 
I would try contacting the Colorado Aquarium Society, based in Denver; http://www.coloradoaquarium.org/index.asp

They have to be getting decent tanks at a reasonable price from somewhere, and it may be closer than Denver.

As long as your car is a hard top you can fit the tank on the roof. Pad it up with some good thick blankets, crank it down with some ratchet straps, and take back roads from Denver, rt. 85 looks like your best bet heading home.
 
Thanks for the replies, I'll have to look into that Tolak. :good:

Let me know if you hear anything drobbyb, I appreciate you asking.
 
You can order one at petco.com and have it shipped to your local store. Thats all I know. Have you tried craigslist ? So many awesome deals pop up in my area I'm sure you could find one.

You can get a 46 gal bowfront from petco.

I found this site [URL="http://"http://www.fishtanksdirect.com/""]http://www.fishtanksdirect.com/[/URL]

[URL="http://www.fishtankshop.com/glass.aspx"]http://www.fishtankshop.com/glass.aspx[/URL]

Thanks for the links snowflake, I had come across them but one of them only has larger acrylic tanks and the other is out of stock on everything. I really appreciate you taking the time to look though. :nod:

I'm not a big fan of bowfront tanks, but I may have to settle for one. I have tried craigslist, unfortunately Cheyenne is just too small and fish aren't that popular here. :sly:
 
I can order a 55gal online from Petco, but would really rather have a 40.

Why not go for the 55? It's a nice sized tank and if you can order an iron stand for it, you can put a 30 gallon breeder on the bottom shelf. Just think of the possibilities....... :shifty:

Is there a Walmart near you? They carry some tanks too.
 
Hi again dthoffsett :)

I checked the Aqueon website and found their list of aquariums. They used to be the All-Glass Company. Their website has a store locator that lists four stores in Cheyenne that carry their products. Maybe one of them can order what you are looking for. If all else fails, Aqueon has a toll free phone number and perhaps they might have some idea that could be helpful to you. :D
 
I can order a 55gal online from Petco, but would really rather have a 40.

Why not go for the 55? It's a nice sized tank and if you can order an iron stand for it, you can put a 30 gallon breeder on the bottom shelf. Just think of the possibilities....... :shifty:

Is there a Walmart near you? They carry some tanks too.

Water is so expensive here that I was really wanting a 40. I might end up going for the 55 though just because it's easier to find, my uncle is coming up in a couple of weeks and I'm sure we could fit it in his suv.

My local Walmart doesn't carry over a 20, like I said Cheyenne is small. :lol:


Hi again dthoffsett :)

I checked the Aqueon website and found their list of aquariums. They used to be the All-Glass Company. Their website has a store locator that lists four stores in Cheyenne that carry their products. Maybe one of them can order what you are looking for. If all else fails, Aqueon has a toll free phone number and perhaps they might have some idea that could be helpful to you. :D

Unfortunately all four stores have closed, fish just haven't gone over well here. :no: Thanks for the help though. :nod:
 
Well, I guess I'm going to bit the bullet and order a 55gal from Petco, I really wanted the 40 but can't seem to source it. Darn, guess I'll have to add some extra dems in there. :shifty:

I'm going to be filtering very heavily and lightly stocking (for mbuna anyways) so hopefully I can stretch my water changes a bit and save myself some money.

Just wanted to thank everyone again for your suggestions. :good:
 
Your water must be really expensive for you to mention it twice, dthoffsett. What about collecting rainwater? I'd never do that in NY, but you are not in a very polluted area. There are also probably many creeks within driving distance but I doubt if that could be a year round source.
 
dthoffsett, I checked with my LFS guy and he just uses the regular shipping from the distributor, and they require him to order at least $400 worth of merchandise before they will deliver.
 
Your water must be really expensive for you to mention it twice, dthoffsett. What about collecting rainwater? I'd never do that in NY, but you are not in a very polluted area. There are also probably many creeks within driving distance but I doubt if that could be a year round source.

Water is about 3 times higher here than in KS, I'm sure there are more expensive places but it's a big hike for me especially with a new house and everything. I've been thinking about collecting rainwater to water my flowers. We only get about 10" of rain a year here so not really enough for big water changes :no: , that and the water is already soft and the rainwater would make it softer. Since I'm going to be keeping mbuna I don't want to bring down the levels any further. I think I'll be ok with the hugh amount of filtration I'll have, between the FX5 & the powerheads (w/prefilters) I should have a total turn over of 27-29 times per hour.

That and with several refineries in the area I'd be a little worried about putting the water in my tank, the outdoor plants would be fine with it though.


dthoffsett, I checked with my LFS guy and he just uses the regular shipping from the distributor, and they require him to order at least $400 worth of merchandise before they will deliver.

Thanks for checking, I guess I'm just going to go through Petco. :good:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top