Oranges in the tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Phreaxer

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I went to petsmart today and there were oranges in the tank, I asked the guy why. and he said "because they like them...."

Is that normal? I would think the acids would not be good for them...

nope that one is news to me i might have thaught snails might like the pulp where they whole orranges or just little segments?

Im not too sure what fish they were with. I know they were with the goldfish, adn the fancys, and the mollies. they were halved or quarters (some both ways) not just little slices or something... :drink:

that would change the ph i think as oranges are acidic im not shure i would advise the fish are fed entirely on orange.

Prehaps they thought the oranges would improve the colouring of the goldfish :hyper: :hyper: :fun: :fun: :lol: :lol:

Ive been into fish stores before that leave quarters of apples at the bottom of livebearer tanks to munch on. Apparantly they nibble at them all the time. I suppose if they are running the water on a huge system this makes less of a difference to the water :blink:

oranges are just juice and skin. So the fish will eat skin and the tank will taste refreshing :lol: (with a bit of ice)

I'd never put oranges in my tank.

Oh yeah and would the acid maybe sting the fish?

This thread just reminded me of the old orange peel trick where u shoot citric acid into someones eyes (wheres my brother gone? :devil:)

i dont think its that type of acid really guys......and if it is then amount of acid in some orange would be diluted a hell of a lot so it wouldnt do any harm

the only thing i can think of is any pesticides that have been used on them but if they have been washed then it really shouldnt be a problem

ive read in a book or 2 that they like fruits and veggies.....anno my old goldfish LOVE potato and cheese :nod:

i didnt imagin it would melt the fish or anything i just thaught that the citric acid might change the ph and thus the water chem if fed regularly.

Imagine u were a fish and you hated the taste of oranges. You'd have to be tasting if for a day or 2 before the flavour in the water went :eek:

:lol:

feed loaches bananas hehehehe that is SO CUTE! :wub:
we tried some peas in our tank the other night and most the fish liked it - but when our loach found a bit he just spat it out.
hes happy with the rock suckig for now, he still has quite a bit of growing to do though :wub:

:thumbs:

Starry^

Most reactions

trending

Back