One Small Tank

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

fifefish

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Here is my first attempt at a small planted tank.
Tank: 7"x9"x12"
Volume: 12 litres
Light: 11 watt
Substrate: Argos Play sand & Pea gravel on the bottom
Fertiliser: Hagen Plant Gro
Filter: Elite Mini Filter
Heater: Standard 25w

First: Empty Tank
P040609_1646.jpg

Add some Gravel
P040609_1654.jpg

Add some Sand,Rocks and water
decor.jpg

Still need to decide which plants and fish/invertebrates go in.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Zebra/Leopard Danios; Neon Tetras; Glowlights; White Clouds; Lemon Tetras; Harlequins; Endlers; Cardinals; .... Pick yourself a mixture of up to (max) 8 fish out of those mentioned.

Shrimp tank m8?, as above said it's not really suitable for most fish unless a small fry growout tank.... and even then it wouldnt house them for long ;)

A few plant ideas:
HC (Hemianthus callitrichoides )
Anubias (Anubias barteri var. nana)
Cryptocoryne wendtii ''green''
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Tropica'
Twisted Vallis (Vallisneria americana)
Moss Ball
Dwarf hairgrass (Eleocharis parvula)

You could have Micro Sized fish in there happily from the rasboras family.
How much was that acrylic tank they are £5 here.

You could have Micro Sized fish in there happily from the rasboras family.
How much was that acrylic tank they are £5 here.

It was £10 and its not an acrylic tank, Glass :rolleyes:

Oh Ok, Looks just like an Acrylic tank that an LFS sells here.The base design threw me off.

use it as a shrimp tank. would look great. i am currently cycling my 19 litre S+grade CRS tank. hoping to make a profit of the babies.

I might consider it ..
Is it possible for me to keep Microrasbora kubotai
in the tank?

Is that sand on top of the gravel?

You know the sands going to sink down below the gravel, right?
Yes that is sand on top of gravel,
and i know that it sinks in between the gravel, i just find it easier to plant thing into gravel..

if you think it is easier to lpant into gravel, there is no need for sand if it is going too sink into the gravel. you may aswell of just used gravel.

if you think it is easier to lpant into gravel, there is no need for sand if it is going too sink into the gravel. you may aswell of just used gravel.

I like the look of sand but like planting abilities of gravel,
If I put more sand in than gravel I can have a sand on the top.

Attachments

• tank.gif
    tank.gif
    5 KB · Views: 57

I like the look of sand but like planting abilities of gravel,
If I put more sand in than gravel I can have a sand on the top.

There are many grain sizes for sand. The heavier grain sands, about 1-3mm are extremely well-suited for planting, and are not as difficult to work with. I understand why you used gravel, especially if you are uncomfortable planting in a fine grain sand, which yours looks to be from the pictures. If your sand layer is at least 2x thicker than your gravel layer, I think you'll be ok, though there will always be mixing. That is what I did for my tanks. I put a thin layer of laterite (a old-school plant substrate), which has a larger grain size than sand, then covered that with a layer of that 1-3mm sand, then covered that layer with a fine sand and made sure that the fine sand layer was much thicker. I got the rooting medium that I needed yet I have minimal mixing and the sand is the dominant substrate. I wish I had done this for all my tanks, as I really like the look. But I dread swapping out 3-year-old crypts just to change the substrate.

Most reactions

Back