I have hair algae, what would help

Country joe

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have blue green algae, I'm just waiting for Fritz slime out, coming from the states, but I also have hair algae.is it because its a new tank, will it just go away, I have my lights on a timer for ten hours would dropping it to eight help, my tank is in a bedroom, and I now keep the window blind closed for permanent will this shift it ?

Yes, less light should help with hair algae.
By blue green algae I am assuming cyanobacteria, which is not unusual in newer tanks. Regular cleaning and removal, and care not to add too many organics, will stop it overwhelming the tank until it rebalances, but it is a lot of hard work.

I limit my tank lights to 5 hours per day. That really helped my algae problem.

You hint that it's a new tank setup.
When I first set mine up I went through various phases of different algae types going to exteme levels. As things stableized, plants grew and through regular cleaning via scraping and using a straw brush for hairy algae things did settle down. I still get algae, I will never avoid it, especially as my tank is near a window and gets the sun. But its not near enough to destroy the beautiful aesthetics of the tank.

But I would also consider your light times if you are leaving them on for prolonged periods.
As Gwand says having theirs for only 5 hours has helped their algae issues.
I have mine from 6:30am-10am and then 2pm-6pm (7.5 hours) + Red light only 6pm-10pm (As that is the colour that makes my guppies the prettiest at night) So I have mine on maybe too much, but I do not believe red light is as detrimental for algae growth.

Also ensuring its well planted will help reduce nutrients that algae will use to prosper.

20240505_111941.jpg
20240505_111937.jpg

FM-001,
Biological water purifying agent,
fish tank purifier algae remover,
Detroitrain.com
saw this on Facebook just search FM-001
What do you think ?
Could be Snake oil.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back