One peacock gudgeon died...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I can't see the water chemistry in terms of mineral content killing a fish this quickly, acclimation takes a couple of days, sorry to hear about your fish Rocky, but like others have said I believe you've just been unlucky, moving fish is very stressful for them. Stressed fish are more susceptible to being overcome by pre-existing illness which this fish probably had.

Don't feed too often, once every two days should be fine for the time being whilst you continue testing to ensure your tank is fully cycled. And only feed what they can eat in a minute or so, remove any excess.

So it all started near noon that the fish started showing symptoms of swim bladders disease... I kept checking through out the day and then about 7 hours after the first symptoms it was mysteriously dead... It showed no signs of trauma and the color is still bright... I took a few pictures... Im so sad and I feel like a complete failure... My first fish, a betta died when I didnt know how to care for it and it lived a month... This fish I put into a cycled tank with proper everything and it dies... I must've over fed... Its all my fault 😠😞😢View attachment 153138View attachment 153139
Perhaps I will draw a picture of the fish for memory. Don't be so hard on yourself. These things happen. Seriously, it is not nice to wake up every morning seeing 3 more dead guppies every day. Sorry for your loss. 😢

@Rocky998 Here is the picture. Rest in peace, little gudgeon. 😢

Attachments

• IMG_20220129_122826.jpg
    IMG_20220129_122826.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 17
Absolutely no reason or point in kicking yourself over this matey

Fish can be delicate and they can harbour illnesses long before they make it into a home aquarium whether it be genetic due to inbreeding or from transit to the supplier or a whole host of different reasons.

You have done everything by the book and then some matey.....and throughout your fishkeeping life you will sadly lose a few along the way, it is sadly inevitable.

Pick yourself up, dust yourself down, quit kicking yourself cos it won't bring the fish back....chalk it up to experience like we all do when it happens. You're doing fine :)

@Rocky998 , don't be discouraged.
It happened to many of us.

In fact, in some fish farms (sea farming), when they have mass spreading of disease from the sea, many fish will die.

In today aquarium trade, I observed that majority of the lfs tanks have diseases.
It's like almost impossible to avoid disease whenever I buy new fish.
Most lfs have limited space and they will put many fish in each tank where the spread of disease become almost impossible to avoid.
And whenever I buy new fish, I can almost guarantee that a few of them will die due to disease.

You did all of the research, so why did you put them in a tank with a pH of 8 plus
Like others have said... They have kept these gudgeons in a high PH and nothing has gone wrong. Each of these fish were at my LPS for more than a week and they were doing fine. This makes me agree with the fact that one was just too stressed from all the moving and died. Today the other two are still happily swimming around

I can't see the water chemistry in terms of mineral content killing a fish this quickly, acclimation takes a couple of days, sorry to hear about your fish Rocky, but like others have said I believe you've just been unlucky, moving fish is very stressful for them. Stressed fish are more susceptible to being overcome by pre-existing illness which this fish probably had.

Don't feed too often, once every two days should be fine for the time being whilst you continue testing to ensure your tank is fully cycled. And only feed what they can eat in a minute or so, remove any excess.
I will skip feeding today for them. Thank you for the support!

@Rocky998 , don't be discouraged.
It happened to many of us.

In fact, in some fish farms (sea farming), when they have mass spreading of disease from the sea, many fish will die.

In today aquarium trade, I observed that majority of the lfs tanks have diseases.
It's like almost impossible to avoid disease whenever I buy new fish.
Most lfs have limited space and they will put many fish in each tank where the spread of disease become almost impossible to avoid.
And whenever I buy new fish, I can almost guarantee that a few of them will die due to disease.
Yah, but the thing with sea farms is its gonna be crowded and their not going to get the best care... So a massive die out is imminent at some point. Thank you for your thoughts on the matter

Absolutely no reason or point in kicking yourself over this matey

Fish can be delicate and they can harbour illnesses long before they make it into a home aquarium whether it be genetic due to inbreeding or from transit to the supplier or a whole host of different reasons.

You have done everything by the book and then some matey.....and throughout your fishkeeping life you will sadly lose a few along the way, it is sadly inevitable.

Pick yourself up, dust yourself down, quit kicking yourself cos it won't bring the fish back....chalk it up to experience like we all do when it happens. You're doing fine :)
Thank you so much for your kind words.

About feeding....overfeeding fish not only is bad for them, it can affect water params, if uneaten food is left in the tank

I feed my fish every other day, sometimes every 3 days....underfeeding rarely causes issues, fish don't eat every day in the wild...but overfeeding pretty much ALWAYS causes issues

About feeding....overfeeding fish not only is bad for them, it can affect water params, if uneaten food is left in the tank

I feed my fish every other day, sometimes every 3 days....underfeeding rarely causes issues, fish don't eat every day in the wild...but overfeeding pretty much ALWAYS causes issues
Yes, so maybe I should start feeding every other day instead of everyday. Also, do you think I could get some shrimps and snails? Particularly nerites and amano

Yes, so maybe I should start feeding every other day instead of everyday. Also, do you think I could get some shrimps and snails? Particularly nerites and amano
Every other day is plenty...snails and amanos would be fine, but it's best to have an established tank, with plenty of biofilm and some algae for them to graze on...both are scavengers...get a few more gudgeons, and wait a month or two for scavengers

Remember, patience is key in this hobby..."nothing good happens fast"

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back