One nasty Neon

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Reaction score
I just bought 6 neons on the weekend. One Neon (little hitler) seems to be harrassing the other ones. He'll chase all them and nip at them.

Now 4 days later I only have 2 Neons left. Every morning I wake up and another one is dead. Now its just Hitler and one other Neon.

My water levels are fine, the tank is fully cycled.

My plan was to buy a school of Neons thinking they would be a nice group of peacefull fish to watch. I didn't realise that these fish could be so mean.

I still love the way they look and want to keep a group of them. Can anybody give any advise on how to keep these little guys happy and healthy.

Any Advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a lot.

Neons can be fragile. If your tank is cycled and water parameters ok then you may have to just keep adding fish until you have enough survivors! Try different suppliers if you continue to have trouble - some stock may just be weak, or poorly treated before or during the stay at the LFS. A bit of cover might help calm the survivors down, as will larger numbers of them!

Hey,
thanks a lot for the reply :rolleyes: that makes a lot of sence!!

The thing I'm worried about right now is that one of the two surviviors (originally bought six) seems to be very aggressive towards others (I call him Hitler). He seems to chase them down and harrass them. I'm scared he's going to kill more of them if I put them in the tank. Fortunately the other neon seems to able to handle his "crap".

My tank has a lot of hiding places so I wouldn't think that is a problem.

Do have any more advice for me.
I appreciate it greatly.

afteryour neon kills the rest,stick a convict in there,

that will fix him.

The curious thing is I have a strang respect for the little killer Neon. I want to keep him however I wish he would just play nice.

Never had a nasty neon, usually peaceful fish, did you add them to the tank at the same ph as the store, what is your ph compared to the lfs.

Wilder said:
Never had a nasty neon, usually peaceful fish, did you add them to the tank at the same ph as the store, what is your ph compared to the lfs. Maybe they were just an unhealthy batch; I doubt the nipping and chasing would kill the other neons.
It is likely that the lfs will have had similar water, and neons now are mass bred so they are used to harder water with different pH's. Any which aren't tend to die at the store. Maybe it was just a

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back