One fish dead the other not looking good help!!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

If you can get to a fish store, a bottle of bacterial supplement would help. Tetra's SafeStart is one of the best. But most any will help, Seachem's Stability (I've used this in an emergency), Nutrafin's Cycle, etc.
I just got the tetra safe start and it says the add the WHOLE bottle for up to 50 gallons. Is that true??? Do I really need the whole bottle if Iā€™m just going to do another water change and 75% of this is gone?

I just got the tetra safe start and it says the add the WHOLE bottle for up to 50 gallons. Is that true??? Do I really need the whole bottle if Iā€™m just going to do another water change and 75% of this is gone?

I would do a major water change (75-80%), and add some of this. Same if nitrite is above zero tomorrow, and day after. I am assuming some bacteria is appearing by now, so it is not a totally new tank.

I would do a major water change (75-80%), and add some of this. Same if nitrite is above zero tomorrow, and day after. I am assuming some bacteria is appearing by now, so it is not a totally new tank.
Iā€™ve got the ammonia down to 0, but the nitrites are still at 2.0-5.0 ppm. Do I just keep doing eater changes until the nitrites are are 0?

You need to do as many water changes as large as necessary to get nitrite down to zero. You can do back to back water changes if necessary. Just make sure that the old and new water are roughly the same temperature - comparing the temp with your hand is close enough.

Assuming you have a HOB. I used to replace mine completely when gunked up BUT would shove the old one behind the new for 48hrs. That way you can get your new filter in but not lose the BB from the old until the new one grows some.

You need to do as many water changes as large as necessary to get nitrite down to zero. You can do back to back water changes if necessary. Just make sure that the old and new water are roughly the same temperature - comparing the temp with your hand is close enough.
Okay thank you so much!

Assuming you have a HOB. I used to replace mine completely when gunked up BUT would shove the old one behind the new for 48hrs. That way you can get your new filter in but not lose the BB from the old until the new one grows some.
Oh woah! Thatā€™s such a good idea Iā€™ve never thought of that, thank you so much!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back