Nymphoides Hydrophylla Taiwan

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Matty24

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So.. I planted a 1-2 grow pot of Nymphoides Hydrophylla Taiwan yesterday, this morning I was surprised to see that something (I found out this morning that amano shrimp caused the damage so ive been reading they take a liking to it if they are hungry.. why just that planted i couldnt find out) the leaves have been badly damaged I was wondering weather they will recover or whats the best course of action?

16610001396264618180785928551263.jpg

Cheers

feed the shrimp 2-3 times a day and they should leave the plants alone

It was so strange because they have never touched any of my plants before, when I googled it other people have had the same problem with just that plant, I only feed them once a day I will start feeding more in that case thanks for the advice 👍

Funny that Blake on youtube just said "Stay away from plants fish will pick at" I know how true that is. Some plants seem to always have something that will eat it even if the reputation is they are not plant eaters...as you found out.

I've had the same problem recently with the same species. It's hanging in there, and keeps trying to put out new leaves, but possibly shrimp and fish are eating the leaves and leaving lots of bare stems! The set up it's in though is pretty new and a lot of the plants are struggling, so I assumed it was me making it fail somehow.

I think @Essjay has this plant, and I know she has shrimp, but also softer water while mine is hard, could harder water be a problem for it perhaps? How did your nymphiodes do when you added it and did you experience this, @Essjay ?

I do have Nymphoides and soft water but I don't have shrimp in that tank. Actually, I do have one shrimp which lives in the Java fern. I think it must have been a shrimplet in some red root floater when I transferred it from the shrimp tank. I've tried catching it to put it back but it goes deep into the Java fern when it sees the net.

I bought two pots of Nymphoides, both are doing well. I just remove the leaf stalks right at the base when they threaten to climb out of the tank. I've also had several daughter plants growing from the leaf stalks, I've planted them in the tank as well, though they are slower to grow than the ones I bought, probably as the bought plants already had good roots while the baby plants need to grow them.

I don't know if this plant prefers soft water, someone who knows more about plants should be able to tell us. But there are several reports of amano shrimps destroying Nymphoides. Plecos and bristlenoses also have a reputation for eating it.

I do have Nymphoides and soft water but I don't have shrimp in that tank. Actually, I do have one shrimp which lives in the Java fern. I think it must have been a shrimplet in some red root floater when I transferred it from the shrimp tank. I've tried catching it to put it back but it goes deep into the Java fern when it sees the net.
Haha! I have two "how did you get in here?" shrimp in my non-shrimp tank too that I keep meaning to catch and transfer every time I spot them :lol: Love that I'm not alone there! So easy for teeny shrimplets to hitchhike when moving plants or fish between tanks.
I don't know if this plant prefers soft water, someone who knows more about plants should be able to tell us. But there are several reports of amano shrimps destroying Nymphoides. Plecos and bristlenoses also have a reputation for eating it.

Ah. I have five amanos and two plecos in there with the Nymphoides :oops: Oh well. They do look a bit like salad leaves and that they might be tasty on a bagette with some rocket, tomato and prawn mayo. I get it.

Most reactions

trending

Back