What's new

No filter, No CO2, No ferts Betta tank

JxsPxxle

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So I previously created a thread asking if it could work if I created a betta tank which would flourish with no filter or co2 or ferts, and everyone seemed to think it would be a good idea so I went ahead with it. My tank is already cycled and the betta has been in here for a couple of weeks. So i have a few questions.

First of all, I currently have a bunch of Hornwort in there and a couple of other plants, and I was considering adding Giant Duck Weed. As this is a floating plant, I decided it would be great for my tank. So does anyone have suggestions for other floating plants or other plants in general?

Also, I currently only have a male Betta with a red spotted nerite in my tank. I was curious as to wether I could add something else, I was thinking a few amani shrimp but i’m not too sure. I would also like some suggestions.

And finally, would it result in algae out break? I plan to do a 50% water change every week to keep water quality good. But would no filter result in large amounts of algae?

I have attached some images.

Attachments

Deanasue

Staff member
Global Moderator
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
Water lettuce is great. Long beautiful roots. You’ll have to remove some every week when you clean because it grows so fast. Here’s a pic of
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Retired Viking

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I also use water sprite and duckweed for floaters. I like Java Ferns and Java Moss to attach to rocks and wood. Moneywort and Anubias -Afzelii is nice.