Nitrites not growing

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Tetra&bettakeeper

Reaction score
So been cycling my new 14gal about 13 days now pH is a little high but i will sort that out later its over the needed amount to be ammonia.

The problem is my nitrite is sitting at between .25 and .5 and doesn't seem to be growing or delevoping.

Not sure if maybe i'm worrying a bit too much i'm not used to this size of tank yetf

Ammonia is sitting between 2-4ppm i don't like it getting any higher if it does i add a tiny bit of ammonia reducer.

Any advice appreciated my last tank was a small 9gal bought bigger tank that one started leaking (sadly my betta past away few weeks earlier) so it had nothing in it at the time.

Tools i use
pH tester pen
Api master test kit
Heater 50w
Pump fully adjustable 150gal per hour
Inkbird wifi aquarium temperature controller setup.

Thanks all

IMG_20210823_223135.jpg

Just checked my old spreadsheet.

My nitrite was similar until suddenly on day 11 or so the ammonia shot down and the nitrate shot up. I mean went so high I had to dilute the sample in test tube with tap water and guestimate.

So maybe just have patience.

My advice is keep testing and even be ready to have to water change to dilute the nitrite (as I believe too much nitrite actually inhibits growth of the nitrate bacteria.

Also - I suspect that whatever your ammonia blocker is it is inhibiting the bacteria's ability to absorb and process the chemical. So If you need to reduce ammonia, maybe just do a water change, the nitrifying bacteria will not be living in the water.

And don't be afraid to toss in some bottled bacteria to speed things up, otherwise you may be hoping your tap-water is your seed source of bacteria, as you don't seem to have any plants or whatever from a LFS tank.

Check your nitrates. You don’t always even see nitrites in a cycle. If the ammonia is dropping then the nitrite-bacteria have caught up with the ammonia-bacteria, and it’s going straight to nitrates as it’s produced.

give it time.

if you have another tank set up with an established filter, you can take some of the media from that and put it in the new tank to help speed things up. Alternatively, add some liquid filter bacteria.

As mentioned, lay off the chemical ammonia reducer. This would likely sabotage any beneficial bacteria's attempts to convert it to nitrites.

give it time.

if you have another tank set up with an established filter, you can take some of the media from that and put it in the new tank to help speed things up. Alternatively, add some liquid filter bacteria.
Good point, though looking at the set up, I suspect you won't have other cycled tanks running.

I'd seriously consider adding some bottled beneficial bacteria. I had some success with Microbe-Lift Special Blend and Nite-Out II, so I can't vouch for others.

Real plants are always beneficial.

Thanks for the advice its appreciated and its my only tank. I will see what happens over next few days. Probably just me

Live plants are planned for it just haven't added them yet and in terms of water its got a mixture of about 50% tap and 50% filtered conditioned with prime.

Seen a jump today 🙂 looks maybe i was worrying a little bit unccessarily ammonia was well down obviously partly because of the remover.

I wont be using the ammonia remover anymore though.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back