Nitrates Dropped

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

charlton

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
tested my water this morning and all is well but it seems that my nitrates have dropped ! Is this possible or is it an inaccurate reading ? I'm doing a fishless cycle if that helps !!

cheers

charlton

whats the test kit you are using? API master test kit, bottlt #2 need to be shaken vigeriouisly to mix the chemicals.
and nitrAtes shouldn't of droped unless; inaccurate reeding of test, A water change has been done, You have vert heavy planting which is using the nitrate or lots of algae (which does the same as the plants).
the best e=bet is an Inaccurate reeding.

whats the test kit you are using? API master test kit, bottlt #2 need to be shaken vigeriouisly to mix the chemicals.
and nitrAtes shouldn't of droped unless; inaccurate reeding of test, A water change has been done, You have vert heavy planting which is using the nitrate or lots of algae (which does the same as the plants).
the best e=bet is an Inaccurate reeding.

cheers for the reply, it is the api test kit so i can only assume i didn't shake for long enough ! I was just interested to know if there was a scientific reaqson for the nitrates to of droped but you've pretty much answered that aswell !!!

charlton

It is also possible for anairobic conditions to be presant in the tank. This means a lack of oxygen in some area of the tank, in laymans tearms :good: I have had this happen to me with an overly dirty filter that was allowed to run for longer than it should without a clean. I did this intentionaly though, as I was changing oer filters, and wanted a new set of media in the new filter. This isn't something that you realy want to happen though, as you need a very low flow through the filter for it to occur. Under normal conditions, with enough surface movement on the tank, there should not be anairobic conditions in the filter. Anairobc posckets elswhere in the tank probibly won't have a significant impact on the nitrate reading, unless you have a deap sand bed in a sump.

All the best
Rabbut

Do you have plants in your tank?

I did a fishless cycle and found my nitrates dropped.. although I don't have any plants, I did have an abundant growth of algae and presumed that was what was utilising the nitrates.

I'm new to this so forgive me if I'm wrong and someone comes in to correct me.

Your nitrates dropped because your nitrites did too. Nitrate test kits will read nitrites as well as nitrates. If you test for nitrates while the tank is cycling you will get inacurate readings due to the nitrites in the water. Only test for nitrates once the tank has finished cycling.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back