Nitrate filter

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

The nitrate filter is live plants, have enough plants you will have no nitrates. I have never had a detectable nitrate reading on any of my tanks.

The nitrate filter is live plants, have enough plants you will have no nitrates. I have never had a detectable nitrate reading on any of my tanks.

That reminds me, you told me a while ago about some plants that would survive in my Rift lake cichlid tank , what were those again?

Vallisneria, Ludwigia and Java fern

Okay my LFS has some of the tropica pots of Java fern. I’ll be going today to try them, is there anything I should know about keeping them? Do I need to feed, how much light, any particular way to put them in my tank (I have gravel substrate) etc anything at all you think will help

Okay my LFS has some of the tropica pots of Java fern. I’ll be going today to try them, is there anything I should know about keeping them? Do I need to feed, how much light, any particular way to put them in my tank (I have gravel substrate) etc anything at all you think will help
Java ferns like low light, tie them to a piece of wood or a rock., don't put them in the gravel. In my African tanks I would wedge them between a couple of rocks.

Java ferns like low light, tie them to a piece of wood or a rock., don't put them in the gravel. In my African tanks I would wedge them between a couple of rocks.

Okay I’ll do the same, I rarely have my light on any more than 2-3 hours a day, is this enough light?

Vallisneria, Ludwigia and Java fern
For nitrate reduction you would need terrestrial plants growing out of the top as well though

For nitrate reduction you would need terrestrial plants growing out of the top as well though

I have a lid on my tank and I’m scared they would jump out, would floating plants be an alternative?

Floating plants help reduce nitrates.

If you have nitrates in your tap water, you can fill a container with dechlorinated tap water and put floating plants in it. Leave the plants in the water until the nitrates are 0ppm, then use that water to do water changes.

Floating plants help reduce nitrates.

If you have nitrates in your tap water, you can fill a container with dechlorinated tap water and put floating plants in it. Leave the plants in the water until the nitrates are 0ppm, then use that water to do water changes.

My tap water doesn’t have nitrates but I would like floating plants, I know you’ve already told me @Colin_T so I apologise for asking again but what floating plants would be ok in my cichlid tank?

Most reactions

trending

Back