Nicrew ClassicLED Gen 2 Aquarium Light...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Rocky998

Kinda crazy, but somehow they let me stay
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
So I was womdering if anyone has heard of or have ever had this light... Here is the Amazon link: NICREW ClassicLED Gen 2 Aquarium Light, Dimmable LED Fish Tank Light with 2-Channel Control, White and Blue LEDs, High Output, Size 18 to 24 Inch, 15 Watts https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V7DCCJB/?tag=ff0d01-20.
I want to get it because 1st it has good reviews but also its dimmable and has a built in timer. Thanks in advance for any answers!

Edit note: Sorry I guess the copy and paste link included all of that in there lol

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi,
I seriously recomend the fluval aquasky it has all the features you mention and my tank looks realy good with it my plants are growing well and it has other features lightning etc not sure about the one your asking about and the fluval is more expensive but seriously good light and colour spectrums fully adjustable.
Hope this helps.

I don’t have that model, but I have a Nicrew SkyLED Plus and it’s great! Nicrew is a good brand, I would go for it!

I have the Gen2 and it works like a champ on my 20g long.

Are you using for plants or just lighting? If you are using for plants what depth is your tank?

I got the Nicrew Planted LED:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B082CRJKFL/?tag=

At first I didn't rate it very highly but I did actually get a decent amount of plant growth with it. This was a 12" deep tank with fast growing stem plants though. The downside is the light intensity drops off really quick when you move away from the center of it. That means that you might get good growth directly under it and poor growth to the front and back.

The other thing to note is that while it says it fits from say 50cm to 80cm the light will only cover 50cm and the extra 30cm is extendable legs. With the really bad PAR drop off from the edges you may need to go for the next size up. For example the one I got said tanks up to 75cm which is what my tank is. However only the middle of the tank had good lighting and the edges didn't. If I got the next size up it would have covered the entire length of the tank.

For a cheap light to go over a low tech, low light planted setup its not terrible. I did get myself a finnex planted LED light in the end which has a MUCH high PAR output and much better spread. If you are looking for a light that can support slightly more light dependent plants I would strongly recommend the finnex.

The fluval light is probably best on the market at the moment, however for a planted tank you would notice no real difference between the finnex and the fluval in terms of growth in most tanks. the both put out plenty of light for high demand plants in a high tech setup. The fluval just has a nicer user interface and more bells and whistles but that doesn't actually do anything for the performance of the light. I could also get like 3 finnex lights for the price of 1 fluval one.

Of course if its not planted then you can go for anything you want.

yeah that was one thing I noticed when I bought it, the extendable legs. I believe there is a 18” to 24” model and a 24” to 36” model. Get whatever the largest one is that can fit on your tank, or like @xxBarneyxx said, you won’t get as nice plant growth around the edges.

yeah that was one thing I noticed when I bought it, the extendable legs. I believe there is a 18” to 24” model and a 24” to 36” model. Get whatever the largest one is that can fit on your tank, or like @xxBarneyxx said, you won’t get as nice plant growth around the edges.
Yeah when I tested with a LUX meter I was getting around 7000 to 8000 in the center, then 2 inches off the edge it dropped to sub 1000. My meter probably isnt accurate so the numbers themselves don't matter but it shows just how much it dropped off.

With the Finnex at the same height the center was around 18,000 and 3-4 inches off the edges the lowest it drops to was around 7000. So the finnex at its weakest spots was brighter than the nicrew at its best spots. That also means that you could have the finnex mounted higher on the tank to get better overall coverage and still get a pretty good amount of light in the center.

The nicrew light though will probably work fine for a low light planted setup.

Here's mine
20210216_192746502_ios-jpg.129245

Last edited:
Sorry I havent been able to reply... Thank you for your guys' help! I think I will be doing that nicrew gen 2 light! And 1 more question that is off topic but I dont want to make another thread... What size of tank should I use as my quarantine? Would 5 gallons be enough to house 3 peacock gudgeons for a few weeks? And then after that use it to quarantine 9 lambchop rasboras for a few weeks?

Sorry I havent been able to reply... Thank you for your guys' help! I think I will be doing that nicrew gen 2 light! And 1 more question that is off topic but I dont want to make another thread... What size of tank should I use as my quarantine? Would 5 gallons be enough to house 3 peacock gudgeons for a few weeks? And then after that use it to quarantine 9 lambchop rasboras for a few weeks?
You could get a storage tote! You can get a 20 gallon one for like $5. Set it up with an extra filter and whatever else they need

You could get a storage tote! You can get a 20 gallon one for like $5. Set it up with an extra filter and whatever else they need
Yah... Its just... This is on my mom's piece of furniture and she is letting me use a certain amount of space on it... I cant have another 20 gallon sized object on there...

I have one and it is an OK light. I was using it on a high tech planted tank but I found that I get best results from lights with white, blue, and red diodes. This one lacks the red, so I have it on a low tech platy colony right now. I guess that as long as you aren't trying to propagate plants it's a great light :)

I have one and it is an OK light. I was using it on a high tech planted tank but I found that I get best results from lights with white, blue, and red diodes. This one lacks the red, so I have it on a low tech platy colony right now. I guess that as long as you aren't trying to propagate plants it's a great light :)
Just did some quick searching on Amazon and found this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077YWKZ1D/?tag=ff0d01-20

I dont mind spending a little extra BUT not $70+ for lights... So I'm thinking that this light has it all... The color spectrum, dimming, a timer, and a sunrise/sunset feature.

Just did some quick searching on Amazon and found this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077YWKZ1D/?tag=ff0d01-20

I dont mind spending a little extra BUT not $70+ for lights... So I'm thinking that this light has it all... The color spectrum, dimming, a timer, and a sunrise/sunset feature.
I could work with that light :good:

As a matter of fact, I am going to buy one right now for an 18 gal tank that I have plans for.

I could work with that light :good:

As a matter of fact, I am going to buy one right now for an 18 gal tank that I have plans for.
I wasnt trying to sell anything but, OK! lol... I might do that light then... Or wait and see how it goes for you lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back