Dimmer on Aquarium light

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

MattW3344

fishy wishy
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I got this light mainly for its cost. It doesn't come with dimmable options just an On/off button. It's quite bright with white and Blue LEDs. Is there something or some way I could make a dimmer for this light? I had seen it done on a different forum from a post many years ago that had a DIY dimmer installed but the link to the products they used were invalid and the OP said they replaced the light completely afterward which has slightly put me off a DIY approach. I also wondered if this plug would work (Image below). I'm no electrician so voltage/wattage compatibility is something I have no knowledge of.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 21
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
There is not enough information to answer your question.

Some LED lights are turned on and off using circuitry onboard the light, others use a switch external to the circuitry. Your solution with the external dimmer will likely not work with the LEDs.

Your link takes me to a Nicrew lights. Pretty sure the dimmer control you are suggesting will not work with them. I have 3 different Nicrew lights and depending on which one I am using either dual or single channel ramp timers also from Nicrew, the choice would depend on which light you use. The ramp timers allow you to select the time on and the time off as well as the intensity. The timers fit between the light and the DC power source which will behave differently than the dimmer control you show which works on the AC side of the fence.

Look at these. https://www.amazon.ca/NICREW-Aquarium-ClassicLED-BrightLED-Connectors/dp/B07WT8VK28 they are relatively cheap, a bit of a pain to setup, but mine have been running well for a number of years.

DIY for this level of light will not save you much unless you know exactly what you are doing and have a decent source for the materials and supplies.

There is not enough information to answer your question.

Some LED lights are turned on and off using circuitry onboard the light, others use a switch external to the circuitry. Your solution with the external dimmer will likely not work with the LEDs.

Your link takes me to a Nicrew lights. Pretty sure the dimmer control you are suggesting will not work with them. I have 3 different Nicrew lights and depending on which one I am using either dual or single channel ramp timers also from Nicrew, the choice would depend on which light you use. The ramp timers allow you to select the time on and the time off as well as the intensity. The timers fit between the light and the DC power source which will behave differently than the dimmer control you show which works on the AC side of the fence.

Look at these. https://www.amazon.ca/NICREW-Aquarium-ClassicLED-BrightLED-Connectors/dp/B07WT8VK28 they are relatively cheap, a bit of a pain to setup, but mine have been running well for a number of years.
Thanks for the info but that link was supposed to be for a different brand I have no idea where Nicrew came from 😂 Try this one

I had read through the online manual but couldn't find anything on customizing or adding to the light

Looks like a typical fish tank type of LED light, but I really cannot tell. If it is the dimmer you are looking at will not work.
I had read through the online manual but couldn't find anything on customizing or adding to the light

The dimmer/timer @Uberhoust suggested should work with any 0-30 Volt DC light, up to 120 Watts using a 2.5mm x 5.5mm or 2.1 x 5.5mm barrel connector.

Check with your LED lighting specs to see if it is compatible.

Just so all are aware I have encountered a situation where the Nicrew Ramp timers cause the Nicrew G2 lamp to flicker at the low ramp values. It seems like some of the circuits don't handle the lower voltage, amperage (I think the ramp timers control the voltage, but I am not sure, they might control the current) well causing the LEDs to flicker. For these lights I have a more abrupt ramp from on to off and the flickering does not start. This issue has not occurred with my other aquarium lights, with the G2 I am powering two channels, blue and white, with a single power source which might be part of the issue.

Most reactions

Back